What exactly did I buy

NotStock

For the cooler feed you can buy a pick up that fits in place of the oil pressure sensor on the top of the crankcases just behind the cam chain tensioner then run your lines to the cooler round the right hand side of the block or run them from either side of the oil filter between the manifolds straight up to the cooler.

As for top external feeds to the top end these are only neccessary if you go big CC and you loose the oil feed up to the head through the block. There is an oil galley that runs below the block that terminates either side of the crank cases that is normally used as the alternative feed. As I said with the stanard block and a decent oil cooler  the top end  lubrication works fine. Unless you want to do it for aesthetic reasons. 

• Like 1

Ok, good to understand that the oil feed is lost when going big block, making a top end feed necessary. Leaves me free to go ahead with the oil cooler feed change without worrying about losing the top end oiler option - I have no need for it. There are a couple reasons I want to change the oil cooler feed. I really do not like the lines coming up from either side of the front of the block. I love the look of the lines wrapping around the motor. The additional cooling is maybe a thing, but I just like the design better. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NotStock said:

Completely understand, won't happen again.

although if you must refer to the abomination from the 90's, the commonly used disparaging term is 'teapot' which is doubly useful, because firstly, it accurately describes the bulging jellymould bodywork on them, and secondly, it really annoys the fuck out of the owners who seem to be under the belief that they own something worth owning....

Edited by johnr
  • Like 4

Not Stock,

When it's just those of us upon the North American continent speaking in private, the name "Katana" may be used casually to refer to Suzuki's sport-touring bike with the oil cooled engine.  To our friends across the ocean, the sacred name "Katana" ONLY refers to one motorcycle.   It's a bit of culture shock to us in the US and Canada; but "when in Rome".....READ THE RULES!

• Like 4

I  can see adjustable preload and damping on them. I can't remember  if the teapot had that or not. Judging on the previous owners other  mods and the fact it was a track bike  it's worth checking the cartridges and springs to see if they are after market. 

The teapot had,what was described as, a budget front end and the mounting points for callipers restricts direct  upgrade options without  the use of adaptor plates. That said , with decent linear springs calculated to your weight, plus the bike weight and decent cartridges, they can be made to perform as well any other fork. There is also a Canadian company that produces calliper adaptors for SV 650 racing crowd to upgrade to modern Nissin 4 pot brakes. Take a look at my katana build thread.

20160719_225125.thumb.jpg.c77d0728ea98f94a67ab736dec86e4a2.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure! I've never actually seen them. This is a picture from the PO's shop. The bikes were back in storage when I got there. He has a ton of kats from what I can tell. There are all sorts of amazing parts laying around his shop. For me, a guy who has always wanted a katana and had never seen one, the place was nuts!