Some of my bikes

Mole28

Here is a list of mods on my Slabby race bike: Frame braced at headstock with 8mm alloy plates, 40mmx20mm box behind head stock and at top rear of cradle, modified subframe, 600K1 front end with ZX9R wheel, PFM discs(awesome), 1100M rear wheel(heavy but easy fit.I intent to change to SRAD600 as I have a few of them sitting around). Engine: 750M crank cases,lightened crank,Race clutch plates, steels and springs,Wiseco high comp 771cc kit, 750F ported and skimmed head, Kent cams, Yoshi big bore 4-2-1 with random can, Dyna 2000 ignition and coils, Mikuni RS34s, APE alternator blank, Race cases. Bodywork: 750F tank and the rest is Slingy aftermarket race stuff from Ricambi-Weiss( cos its much cheaper than the Slabby fairings and I crash a fair bit). Lots of other bits that are non standard as well but I can't think of them just now.

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 10:13 PM, dupersunc said:

Have to noticed any difference with the frame bracing?

Trying to decided if I go down that route with my slabbie race bike.

I've got 2 750 slabby race bikes neither of which have any addtional bracing.  They have both lapped the TT course at just shy of 100mph.  CregNyBaa averaged over 100mph when he finished 3rd in the 2010 Classic Superbike Manx GP on an unbraced slabby 750.  I've no idea whether you could go faster on a braced version but I'm in no doubt that I was the limiting factor not the frame.  Personally I would not brace the frame anyway.  It's designed so that the stresses go where they go and the frame can deal with it.  Brace it up and put more load through it and who knows where the extra load will go.  It will find the next weakest point which may not be able to cope.  Snapped frame at the bottom of Barregarroo anyone ?

10 hours ago, canamant said:

I've got 2 750 slabby race bikes neither of which have any addtional bracing.  They have both lapped the TT course at just shy of 100mph.  CregNyBaa averaged over 100mph when he finished 3rd in the 2010 Classic Superbike Manx GP on an unbraced slabby 750.  I've no idea whether you could go faster on a braced version but I'm in no doubt that I was the limiting factor not the frame.  Personally I would not brace the frame anyway.  It's designed so that the stresses go where they go and the frame can deal with it.  Brace it up and put more load through it and who knows where the extra load will go.  It will find the next weakest point which may not be able to cope.  Snapped frame at the bottom of Barregarroo anyone ?

I was of the same opinion as you,  plus most of the bracing I've seen on slabbies is either ott or inefficient.

I have now got to the stage where I'm having issues with the performance of the chassis, specifically on entry to apex of quick corners, When the front tyre is heavily loaded. I can't be sure but it feels like the frame is flexing allowing the front tyre to hop sideways across the track. It's quite violent though doesn't feel like the front will let go completey.

I've spent some time this winter making sure all the engine mounts and spacers are good transition fits. My next thought is solid front mounts and cylinder head brace like the late 750 wr and ws had. 

Totally agree with you on moving stress else where on the frame. I'm not going to be racing on the isle though, and my frame is raw alloy so it can be easily inspected and repaired .

Edited by dupersunc
2 hours ago, dupersunc said:

I was of the same opinion as you,  plus most of the bracing I've seen on slabbies is either ott or inefficient.

I have now got to the stage where I'm having issues with the performance of the chassis, specifically on entry to apex of quick corners, When the front tyre is heavily loaded. I can't be sure but it feels like the frame is flexing allowing the front tyre to hop sideways across the track. It's quite violent though doesn't feel like the front will let go completey.

I've spent some time this winter making sure all the engine mounts and spacers are good transition fits. My next thought is solid front mounts and cylinder head brace like the late 750 wr and ws had. 

Totally agree with you on moving stress else where on the frame. I'm not going to be racing on the isle though, and my frame is raw alloy so it can be easily inspected and repaired .

Very valid points.

My guess would be that in a roads/real world application...best left alone, the bike probably needs a degree of flex to feel complete and trustworthy.

Yoshi  may have been chasing around the frame with a welder and using an inexhaustible supply of spare frames to cut up, but they were on the cutting edge of the tyre technology and working circuits. Possibly even breaking frames.

Mayhap the limit of the chassis design has been found by the tyres. Tyres have moved on a lot since those days, it may well be a case of damage limitation.

Dunc, I would do exactly what you're doing. Finesse it to the n'th degree.

You've found the limit, if you want laptimes...time to look somewhere else.

• Like 1
On 31/12/2017 at 1:15 PM, dupersunc said:

Yeah, tyres have very much surpassd the chassis.

Time to go for something more modern....

.... now gathering parts to build a Slingshot race bike.

Not a great deal better at all really. Slingshots are in all honesty not great frames.

Can be braced up a fair bit but then they weigh a ton.

Not cheap but good aftermarket frame is the best option

4 hours ago, MeanBean49 said:

Not a great deal better at all really. Slingshots are in all honesty not great frames.

Can be braced up a fair bit but then they weigh a ton.

Not cheap but good aftermarket frame is the best option

Yeah I know. An ex wsb racer I know raced a very trick 1216cc  750rk at snettterton around 10 years ago. He reported similar issues to what I'm having. 

Slingshot frame is already heavier. It all points to the fundamental architecture of Oil cooled frames being wrong for modern tyres. But I've got the parts to build 7/12 slingshot race bike so I'll see how they compare.

After market frames aren't on the radar unless someone has a Motomartin or Harris F1 frame the want to sell me for £500. That said i have got a decent frame jig I built a few years back....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dupersunc said:

Yeah I know. An ex wsb racer I know raced a very trick 1216cc  750rk at snettterton around 10 years ago. He reported similar issues to what I'm having. 

Slingshot frame is already heavier. It all points to the fundamental architecture of Oil cooled frames being wrong for modern tyres. But I've got the parts to build 7/12 slingshot race bike so I'll see how they compare.

After market frames aren't on the radar unless someone has a Motomartin or Harris F1 frame the want to sell me for £500. That said i have got a decent frame jig I built a few years back....

I suppose the other good thing is slingshot frames are cheap enough to experiment with.

I think the problem with slabbies and slingshots is they are just too narrow. No matter what you do bracing wise its not going to do a great deal to stop the headstock twisting. Bit like pitching a tent. If you peg it down close its not as stable as if you get the guide ropes out a decent way.

Ideally top tubes need widening and securing on the cylinder head.

Edited by MeanBean49
  • Like 1