Another model ID question, 85 or 86 slabside?

duncan

Hello all! Good to see this forum is still (again) alive, I've got good memories of the old dinosaur board. Crazy amounts of say what now!? knowledge!

Bit of history, I've bought and ridden an '85 slab the last 10 years, love it to bits. Rebuild the engine at 80k, she is well over 100k now. Finally managed to get a complete set of not too damaged bodywork last year. Send it off to the painters because she deserved a proper new jacket to go with the near new engine, it was the last step to making it showroom state. Then the shed burned down while I was away :( everything gone. Attached a photo of her 100k birthday.

But yeah, I have a 100% perfect blue/white slab bodywork and tank, it survived since it was still at the painters. No time to look back too long, dug out a reasonably unmolested slabside to rebuild last week. It's got me a bit confused though, I'm not sure if it's really an 85 model. The frame number is GR75AD105xxx, engine R705-108xxx. As far as I know "GR75AD" is '86 G model, but 105xxx range should still be a '85 F model. Can't tell anything based on the bike itself because other tell-tale signs are removed: Obviously no bodywork, but also no seat, front cowl bracket, switchgear, footpegs or exhaust. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, duncan

PS. Is the good old marketplace still hidden somewhere? I'll be needing plenty of parts coming months.
PPS. Just to make it overly obvious, the photo below is my old slab, not the new one.

DSC01170.jpg

Edited by duncan
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

isn't the front wheel spindle or something like that a larger diameter on later bikes? An expert will be along soon.

Excellent idea, will check on that. I also know the swingarm on the '85 is supposed to be shorter than the later models, but without any reference it's hard to check. And it's easily swapped, so not a definite sign of age.

Good to be back!

It's the only way really, isn't it B| Twin seats, 3-bolt top fairing (and also only a single bolt below the headlights), exhaust shield with round perforations I have. But all these can be swapped between bikes easily.

I'm really looking for the frame number to give me a surefire way to date it, but I cannot make sense of it because of the "GR75AD" instead of the common "GR75A-". Suzuki cycles states it should be the "Check digit: Allows the manufacturer or authorities to see if the VIN is genuine or not, 0-9 or X". But then a "D" does not fit... :S

Edited by duncan
On 10/12/2017 at 11:46 AM, Swiss Toni said:

Duncan, the only relevance I can attach to the 'D' suffix, is that in later Slingshot models, it denoted 'Swiss Domestic Market'. 

Thanks, that's helpful. It would make sense, as far as I can trace this bike spent a lot of it's life in (deep) south Germany. Not unthinkable it got there from Switzerland, it's practically around the corner.

I have a standard F &  aG that's been messeed with, as well as usual give aways  I've seen a few other differences, bar end weights are longer on f  but that might just be jap model difference. My g has rubbers on rear pegs & hooks on under sides

It's what makes it so difficult in my case: The bike is practically in bits from the breakers. I have a set of steps with and one without rubber on the pegs. No clip-ons because an aftermarket superbike handlebar was fitted, but a spare set of clipons (without the weights) came with it.

On 08/10/2017 at 7:38 PM, Captain Chaos said:

Hi and welcome back.

Marketplace will be accessible to you after you make 50 posts.

About the 85/86 question... isn't the front wheel spindle or something like that a larger diameter on later bikes? An expert will be along soon.

Both are 15mm,along with the 1100g ☺️

FB_IMG_1508196153592.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dug out another clue: The bracket holding the horn, fixed by the lower two bolts of the coils, seems to be different between 85 and 86, and I have the 85 one stuck in place with some very original looking (read: very stuck) bolts.

27: 38500-27A02 Horn Assembly Model F
28: 38500-06B01 Horn Assembly Model G/H

Capture.JPG

Edited by duncan

And as a general project update: hotwired a battery, flushed the carbs until clean fuel came out of the drains, and she fired right up. Left a nice patch of rust and oil on the wall directly behind the zorst :ph34r: but a few minutes later she idles nice, decent throttle response and no more smoke.

• Like 3