Obscure OSS knowledge required, GSX1100G

VJ

Hi peeps, some of you may remember a while ago i used to post here, was hacking around on a teapot 6 ratbike with a stage 3 b12 lump in.  Well I managed to kill it spectacularly, get pissed off with it, weigh it in and buy a *non oss* bike to keep me traveling :( 

Time has come though where the OSS itch returns as always and ive got a few questions to anyone with knowledge of the GS1100G:

1) what direction does the shaft rotate when looking from the rear of the bike?

2) what is the overall final ratio of the engine before driveshaft?

3) what rough height, width and length is the engine?

The more on the ball will have deduced that theres some major motorbike fuckery about to happen if the answers to the questions play in my favour, I'll explain more on that if it does work out that way. :)

Cheers

VJ

I've a engine in the workshop I can measure up, but it is the same height as any 11/12 oilboiler and the same width/length as any 6/750/11/12 ool boiler,  the shaft comes out the left, as a rule of thumb if iirc all lefthand shafts rotate the same way as do righthand, can't remember which way thou, I got a whole bike in bits, if you need anything

the final drive out of the gear box (output shaft) onto/into the propshaft would be 1:1,* then the gearing changed at the rear wheel, i've no idea what the gearbox ratios are in a 1100g.

if you stood at the rear of the bike the propshaft turns clockwise

engine dimentions are same as the other oilboilers

*i'm guessing at 1:1, as i can't imagine any different ratios fitting in that area or making any sense for it not to be 1:1. 

3 hours ago, vizman said:

the final drive out of the gear box (output shaft) onto/into the propshaft would be 1:1,* then the gearing changed at the rear wheel, i've no idea what the gearbox ratios are in a 1100g.

if you stood at the rear of the bike the propshaft turns clockwise

engine dimentions are same as the other oilboilers

*i'm guessing at 1:1, as i can't imagine any different ratios fitting in that area or making any sense for it not to be 1:1. 

1:1 makes sense but as you have a bevel drive change in direction, a gearing change is a possibility and so helping to avoiding tiny gears at the axle. Clockwise rotation is usual for a left handed driveshaft to turn wheel forward.

Anyone remember Sparkie's Nitrous Hippo from a while ago - monster powerful bike with clever touches.

I'm thinking of turboing a g motor myself, have got a kooter brown chop frame, I'm thinking of giving the g treatment but I've also got a 16 in volusia spoked rear wheel, be intestine to try and stitch that in the g swingarm, or 650 kat swingarm

20170627_155733.jpg

Edited by Swirl

I picked up the official gsx1100g Suzuki workshop manual for a mate. It a has a very detailed chapter on the drive shaft and think all the ratios were mentioned I.i.r.c. He's away for the weekend. I'll see if I can get a loan of it and take a few scans of the important bits. :)

Edited by Jaydee
4 hours ago, vizman said:

i'll check @Havoc's bevel drive next time i'm working on it for ratio.

don't confuse the final drive ratio at the rear wheel with the bevel box on the output shaft

The 11 was different to the thou by 1 tooth at the diff, the thou diff should, if I remember correctly up the ratio slightly to give a slightly slower engine speed to road speed. Or the other way round........sorry, just bored myself.

The gear box in the G looks like it contains cogs with the same number of teeth as the GSXR L I had, I haven't counted the teeth on the cog that drives the bevel.Will do that tomorrow.

• Like 1
On 30/09/2017 at 1:11 PM, Jaydee said:

I picked up the official gsx1100g Suzuki workshop manual for a mate. It a has a very detailed chapter on the drive shaft and think all the ratios were mentioned I.i.r.c. He's away for the weekend. I'll see if I can get a loan of it and take a few scans of the important bits. :)

Hi Jaydee, if you could find the gear ratios that would be ace, ive a feeling it'l be different to the gsx11 for 'detuned tourer' reasons.

Cheers

John

2 hours ago, VJ said:

Hi Jaydee, if you could find the gear ratios that would be ace, ive a feeling it'l be different to the gsx11 for 'detuned tourer' reasons.

Cheers

John

Yeah not a problem. I'll be seeing my mate tonight. I'll get him to bring the manual so I can scan the important bits. :)