Unknown B12 engine fire it up or investigate further

Reddragon

I got hold of a very cheap MK2 1200 bandit engine no info or knowledge about mileage, it looks like it's been used as a boat anchor but was only £50 so worth a shot, it turns over by hand, has compression, selects all gears and the cams have very little wear, so would you fire it up and see what happens or have a look inside just incase? 

20170425_144317.jpg

plugs oot, cam cover off - liberal wet around the cams buckets with fresh oil and spin her until you see a good supply to the head - got good flow and no obviously nasty sounding things going on - fire her up

oh, and check the engine no. yi don't want to be spending time on it if it ain't legit - not suggesting it ain't, just a good precaution 

thats the 1st, then look closely and see if there are any signs that the no. has been tampered with - ideally if you have a similar engine you compare the stamping type

best is if you can get the bike reg. from the seller = plenty online sights that will then confirm the no. - TBH tactfully approaching the seller about its history / response will give you a good gut feel

otherwise I don't know how to get it checked with just the engine no. other than amending a V5 and sending it to DVLC - if it comes back yir good - if ti doesn't - dunno, could open a can of worms - but contact DVLA and they may advise

you'll gather i've previously been caught out - spending a lot of time and money on a project bike - it did have appropriate documents but it was a ringer, one tiny bit of "not right" on the chassis no. = I went to the police to get it checked and lost the lot - lesson learned on a few accounts

anyway, bloomin good bargain :tu

Sometimes I hate bike building, found a couple of snapped exhaust studs while I was looking over the engine and thought, i'll drill them out before I put it in the frame , all went well, no snapped drill bits so I thought I'll put it in the frame, it'll only take half an hour 9_9, that's where I should've packed up and left it, laid the engine on its side on a couple of blocks, got the frame over it and it got stuck, a little wiggle will sort that, nope, bit more of a wiggle, nope shake the fuck out of it nope !!! Admittedly I still had the forks and swinger plus wheels in place but I've done it several times before on a couple of B6 and a couple Kwak motors but this one was having non of it

Soooooooooo the red mist came down, I flipped the frame across the patio, the engine fell out breaking a couple fins, then I picked up the engine and threw it into the shed where it landed on my trolley jack and may have cracked the cases, but at the moment I really couldn't give 2 shits if I have