Welded starter clutch

I have a gs1100 that I have bored out to 1395 and it has been suggested that I weld my starter clutch.  Does anyone here have experience doing this?  If so do you have a picture or description of where to weld that you could share?  I am sure I could figure it out on my own but prefer to follow a proven method.  Thanks

Its easy if your a good welder - if more like pigeon shit.....get someone else to do it! 

Take the rotor and starter clutch off and clean / degrease it, likewise the rotor. Renew the 3No cap head screws - HT or stainless - either is ok, thread lock them and torque tight. MIG or TIG 3No 1/2" - 3/4" beads between the starter clutch case and the rotor adjacent to the new screws, then refit the rotor.

I've no pics of mine when it was done but it happily withstood plenty of 24v starts before I went to offboard starting!

If you are going to the trouble of replacing the bolts before welding, don't use stainless bolts. They are as soft as shit. Shouldn't be used for anything really highly stressed. Use unplated HT bolts or de-embrittled plated HT bolts.

If you are welding the clutch to the rotor though it is pointless replacing the bolts as they won't be doing anything.

Edited by coombehouse
Typos
21 minutes ago, coombehouse said:

If you are going to the trouble of replacing the bolts before welding, don't use stainless bolts. They are as soft as shit. Shouldn't be used for anything really highly stressed. Use unplated HT bolts or de-embrittled plated HT bolts.

If you are welding the clutch to the rotor though it is pointless replacing the bolts as they won't be doing anything.

They maybe 'soft as shit' but they don't tend to shear off like HT and most peeps will have 3 new M8 SS lying around and not 3 HT screws! Rotor has to be located for welding so SS is as good as anything!

Another option is Fitting a dowel "properly" unlike Suzuki's poor attempt on the GS1150  ...

I've run both welded and non welded doweled......both work..:)...

you just need to be-careful no to put excess heat into the rotor when welding and disturb the glue / resin that hold's the magnets in  

If you are going to use bolts you have lying about then leave whatever is in there alone. Over the years I have sheared off the standard bolts, 12,9 cap head bolts, forged aircraft bolts & also bolts & dowels combined most recently. All have now been replaced by a gsxr600 flywheel & starter clutch. 

On 15/07/2017 at 8:14 PM, wraith said:

Is this a strate swop?

Do you need the 600 geny?

Are they any better than the GS one's?

No it's not a straight swap but it's not too complicated. 

Yes it's better & it's lighter too. It's all in this thread

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/index.php?/topic/617-et-flywheel-alternatives/#comment-6675

Edited by coombehouse
Typos