GSX 1100 (EF mainly) clutch cables

I am going back to a cable clutch and want to fit a new OE cable to my bike which has an EF motor. Due to the multitude of different E models with 1135 engines, these seem to have different clutch cables some of which seem to be unavailable from Suzuki. This must be due to the different bars used on models with different fairing options. My engine is in a Harris Magnum 2 frame and has GSXR 750Y forks yokes and bars. Which cables for GSX motors are likely to fit? I assume that many other cables such as for Kats will be OK too. Is there anything I need to home in on or avoid before I spend the best part of 40 quid on a new cable? Cheers, Dezza.

2 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Still available NOS! There are 3 lengths. The 'American' high bar type. The slightly lower, steeper angled EFE type. And lastly, the flatter , slightly higher EF/EG type. 

Thanks for your reply ST. Do you know of a supplier that has these? Fowlers and Robinson's Foundry only offer the EFE one to order. As I use clipons and my bike is about 30% smaller than a stock EFE I would propbably be best off with a cable for a model that has relatively low bars.

They were available from Robinsons Foundry last Feb. also try Robinsons in Rochdale (quoting YJ's discount code). Failing that, try CMSL in Holland. The EFE ones should do you, as the bars were slightly lower to suit the top fairing. Or get them custom made. Slinky Glide? As the motor's in a Harris, get some curtain wire, and run it from lever to clutch arm in easy curves. Either call dealers with measurements to compare to all GSX cables, or...go hydraulic! (y)

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

They were available from Robinsons Foundry last Feb. also try Robinsons in Rochdale (quoting YJ's discount code). Failing that, try CMSL in Holland. The EFE ones should do you, as the bars were slightly lower to suit the top fairing. Or get them custom made. Slinky Glide? As the motor's in a Harris, get some curtain wire, and run it from lever to clutch arm in easy curves. Either call dealers with measurements to compare to all GSX cables, or...go hydraulic! (y)

Small correction : it is https://www.cmsnl.com/ ( Consolidated Motor Spares )

I have Slinky glide cables on another project : Clutch is smooth, and the push / pull is very light on the throttle  ( http://slinky-glide.co.uk/ to be purchased via Wemoto.com ) 

but.... they don't list  "yours" as standard. 

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/gsx_1100_efe_eff_efg_ese/84-86/#cables

They can probably match the old one ;)

18 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

Might have some in garage, you can try & if any good just cover postage ;) 

That would be most useful. I will post a picture of the original I have where it meets the perch as this is where the variation among cables for different models seems to lie.

• Like 1

Ok cable pics and info......

1st Pic From Left to Right 1,2,& 3 are all the same length cable 2 with the centre adjuster is Full Faired Bike "think"  No 4 shortest may be from a Kat "An Adult will know" 9_9

DSCN2625.thumb.JPG.2eacb79a84397ff1cdb2fc415e347147.JPG

Pic 2 ..Perch "handlebar end" same order...Part No on bag No 3 came in is "58200-00A20-000"

DSCN2626.thumb.JPG.ad738e61d2e52755ac47ad5ea8872c19.JPG

A common mistake on bike's that have changed hands a few time's or been modified is its fitted with the wrong handle bar leaver / perch and in turn makes the cable run messy

Pic 3 original lever / perch "what I normally use" the angled entry means the cable misses the headlight and other rubbish ...

DSCN2628.thumb.JPG.5d5c03c02053b157ff3e0873a5c59f9b.JPG

I tend to use either cable 1,2 or 3 dept. on handlebars as I have found with the OEM lever set up you can get the smoothest cable run and operation......the cable route is well pictured in the manual..B|

I have never owned a stock bike :v so what's best with OEM bars I have no idea....O.o

The one I need is number 3. My current cable is very similar but has no bend at the perch end. I think it came from the non-faired 1100E (1986), which was used as a donor bike to build my magnum just after the engine had been run in.

1 hour ago, Dezza said:

The one I need is number 3. My current cable is very similar but has no bend at the perch end. I think it came from the non-faired 1100E (1986), which was used as a donor bike to build my magnum just after the engine had been run in.

Part No on bag No 3 came in DSCN2629.thumb.JPG.57ecd7583dde57a110f4242d0025d110.JPG

• Like 1