2 hours ago, Dezza said:

You can get the real deal for 33 grand or even a bit less depending on  history and condition - a pukka RG500 race bike rather than one with a road based engine and forks , wheels and brakes off a road bike.

IIRC @Band1t1 had a Nikko Bakker framed RG500 up for sale recently on Eblag ... looking at the prices I have in recent weeks, it looks good value.

13 hours ago, Solcambs said:

IIRC @Band1t1 had a Nikko Bakker framed RG500 up for sale recently on Eblag ... looking at the prices I have in recent weeks, it looks good value.

I disagree - the Bakker framed bike is well over priced. There was (is?) a rebuilt to a high standard mk6 (I think owned by a member of this forum) for offers around 33, and I know personally of a show standard Spondon framed mk 6 that recently sold for around 30 at a shop in Loughborough. If I had somewhere to keep it I would have seriously thought of buying it, it was that good!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Duckndive said:

I always look at these bikes and think "what a shame" .. a bike which as never run, is likely to have many disguised issues. At the least there will be perished rubbers, If it hasn't turned, then won't those disk valves be open to moisture ingress on at least a couple of cylinders? 

Edited by Solcambs

Not necessarily - I know of a couple of bike dealers / traders that have brand new bikes still in crates - Zed's, CBX's etc that have been stored perfectly and could be assembled, fueled and run. As long as rubber is away from UV it'll keep well - whether the rubber hoses will fall to bits with ethanol doctored fuel is another matter!

These bikes are their pension funds - one has more than a few old classic Brit bikes stashed away and NOS OEM parts ie. Velocette / Vincent pistons still in the greased brown paper wrappers - its all out there, just got to go and find it!

• Like 1