Revival of slaby engine.

yyt

Hello to all the pro's here, i"m amazed at the high knowledge, skillfulness and projects here.

I'm rebuilding my gsxr750 86 slaby. it has been standing for the last 15 years and for the last year i'm working on it to bring it back to life.

Its in great condition, about 65.000 km, never been crashed and all original.

My aim is to keep it original, funds wise and i'll be happy with its original performance.

I'm restoring all except the engine. I feel (hope) it will work with no need to take it apart.

I have removed the oil pan, cleaned the oil sludge from pan,cleaned the oil sump filter and made my own gasket from 0.8 gasket paper.

I,m just about to close the oil pan and was wondering if that would be enough before i put everything together and hope for the best.

I will be adding to the instrument panel an oil temperature and a pressure  gauges. I believe that monitoring the oil pressure is the key to engine endurance.

Does anyone have any thoughts,perception and experience of what to do with the engine?

Appreciate any help..

You might find you have low compression cos the valves and their seats have some surface corrosion and carbon buildup.   

To sort that Is a head off job, only possible with the engine out.  You might save yourself some labour by having a look at the top end now

Take lots of pics! 

Thanx for the reply,

Trying to sort out the pictures, got hell of a mess.

The 1st one is before i took it apart.

Is there a way to check the REGULATOR ?

Any recommendations on how to clean the OIL STRAINER filter mesh?

The OIL CONTROL PLUG doesn't come out. I opened the plug, the spring comes out but the plug is stuck. ant ideas??

10-13_(5).JPG

20161024_173103.jpg

20161205_184321.jpg

IMG_2618.JPG

Untitled.png

I didnt know the sump came off with the engine still in!  Thats handy, might try that.  Id say ur oil mesh looks pretty clean enough.  

I vote for getting it running before spending time making it nice. As a preliminary, top end check.

Dont know what the oil control plug does? 

Nice bike, great pilot 

I think I would put the mesh in a plastic margarine tub full of Gunk of Jizzer for a week, then jet wash fook out of it.

If you are still not happy, Caustic Soda.

I think I would try lots of wd40/ Plus Gas on that for a while and get it warm to let it loosen off. Oven, 100 C and then more lube. Then I would stick an air gun in there and try to blow it out. Magnet might do it.

I may be wrong, but I think that valve is regulating pressure to the gearbox. 

As Mark says, with the oil plunger, warm the sump up with a heat gun, and tap sump on a piece of wood to shake it out.  I had the same issue with one of mine, once I'd got th epunger out I lightly honed th ebore with a piece of 400 wet and dry on an arbour with loads of wd40, and polished the plunger. Didn't take much  to sort it.

Got my ultrasonic cleaner to work and with a good degreaser solution the OIL STRAINER filter looks as new.

Managed to pop out the CONTROL PLUG with wooden spline.

Still don't know how to check the regulator but will close the sump anyway, got a feeling it's OK.

Now lets see who is the real expert..

In the sump there is a hole (pic) that goes nowhare!! just a 2" hole. On the other side the hole reaches the main hole of the oil filter.

Any IDEA why this hole exists?

IMG_2617.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

well, expected someone to know about that hole.. anyway finally got the time to close up the sump.

Was just about to replace the front PLUG with a reducer (M14x1.5 to 1/8NPT). I intend to  put a Temperature gauge and the probe goes there.

Found out i the PLUG is M14 x 1.25..

At Eblag /net i couldn't find any. 

Need help finding this reducer- M14x1.25 to 1/8.

IMG_2635.jpg

Here in Israel its a nightmare to find anything, it takes hours on the phone to find someone who understands what you want and when you get there you find its the wrong part..

Would appreciate if you know  hydraulic hose/fittings outlets that sends stuff to Israel.

As for the oil, I feel that monitoring the oil temp. and pressure is the key for making sure the engine is OK as i'm not planning to take it apart at this stage and all the "O" rings and stuff are 30 years old. Anyway, i got the gauges already.