Slingshot 1127 cam chain tensioners

Nick

Gonna do the shims on both my slingshots (M and N models) and wondered - given that they are now 25 years old - if it would be prudent to have the cam chain tensioners out and replace the spring?

I know some drag racers fit manual tensioners, but i only ride on the road, so this is probably overkill.  Does anyone have any experience of the standard tensioners packing up?  A new spring is 8 quid from suzuki...

I've only heard fiend of a friend of a friend type rumours of any on the road  and the only real examples from drag racers - for £8 Nick, I'd just replace them any way, all springs lose strength over time/use and they're not a strong spring to start off with - should renew mine too, thanks for the reminder  !

• Like 1

Well, in a similar vein to FBOB's thread, I went into Robinson's Foundry today to order the tensioner spring and washer that sits on the end cap. 

£5.66 + vat for the cap washer is a new record from Suzuki... i'm still walking funny now from the rogering.

Will give the Dutch fella a try in future for OE bits...

Nick

• 4 months later...

Finally got round to swapping out the tensioner spring.  Spot the obvious length difference...

Anyway, i assume the tensioner has a non return ratchet on it to stop it backing off when the spring cap bolt is removed?  I just undid the cap bolt, took the old spring out, put the new one in and torqued it back up... not sure if i need to pull the valve cover and check it's seated and tensioned before turning it over again?

20160905_193702.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I built a trick engine for the 2013 Manx Grand Prix and fitted a manual cam chain tensioner.  I had the closest escape ever.  The tensioner was adjusted and locked up, but the "solid" nature of the tensioner meant that the vibration/pulsing in he chain was transferred to the tensioner itself and it battered the mounting bolts loose (despite being locktited).  It came off on the Mountain Mile and I was hauled in by a marshal standing in the road just before the last right hand bridge before Mountain Box.  The back wheel was drenched in oil and that bridge is a 140mph sweep.  Threw the tensioner in the scrap box and fitted a standard unit which has been fitted ever since.  Maybe I was just unlucky but I'll never take the chance again.