Gs reg/rec and geny

wraith

Looks like the reg/rec, had a look today gen looking in good working order.

The reg/rec is a 6 mouth old one off suit bay for about £30.

So not to get one more sh#t one, where is the best mostr reliable one?

Only thing with a wet dream one is they are 30 year old ones as well and looking at getting new. 

I would recommend some modern MosFet regulator. I think most of them are made by Shindengen and they are used on various bikes and ATVs. I have been using one on my GSX for few years now and it has been working perfectly.

There are few different models available and unfortunately I don't remember which ones were preferred from top of my head. Quick googling resulted this page that gives some clues:

http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm#SH847_SERIES_RR_KITS_ARE_NOW_AVAILABLE_

You can probably save some money by searching second hand ones from Eblag. If you like I can check the model number that I'm using now. 

• Like 1

+1 for Mosfet, you can find a kit that includes a pair of plugs for the loom ends and includes all the waterproofing grommets to make them even more resilient than standard manufacturers kit.  This is really useful as you can stick a waterproofed one down low somewhere, maybe mounted off the engine in good airflow, and not have it hanging around cluttering up a subframe on a special.

I bought one a while back, buy have sold it on 

P1010607_zpseshc6s7r.jpg

Keep an eye on E-Blag for a guy in Cypress that sells them, not cheap, but about as bullet proof as it's possible to get.

Edited by markfoggy
Photo.

electrex, good tackle and reliable. superdream ones were always the way to go, but remember this. even the newest superdream reg rec is now getting on for 30 years old by now. is it really worth buying a 30 year old electronic component when for 20 quid more you can have a new one with a guarantee?
also, check that the wiring hasnt still got the old suzuki trait of one phase wired through the headlight switch and back to the reg rec and the other two wired direct to the reg rec.  wire the new reg rec with all 3 phases direct to the generator without the bypass through the switchgear.

Edited by johnr
  • Like 1
On 12/03/2016 at 5:57 PM, johnr said:

electrex, good tackle and reliable. superdream ones were always the way to go, but remember this. even the newest superdream reg rec is now getting on for 30 years old by now. 

Can get Electrex ones for both GSs and Super Dreams on EB - so should I go for the SD one?

But, if so, can anyone check out the Electrex SD r/rs on that site as they all seem to have 2 black wires (plus red & green) and I presume that I only need 1 black, certainly from the conversion wiring charts that I've seen. Do I just blank off the 'spare' black? 

Cheers.

I must admit to being a tight get so took a chance on a £15 superdream unit off that well known auction site and it works spot on on my old 750.

The H*nda ones are '6 wire' and have an additional voltage reference wire over the suzuki units - this extra wire needs wiring in to a live feed switched via the ignition switch.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/storagecliff/images/r-r_replacement.pdf

If you're going for a new unit then I'd go with the GS specific one.

Andy

On 12/3/2016 at 3:17 AM, Arttu said:

I would recommend some modern MosFet regulator. I think most of them are made by Shindengen and they are used on various bikes and ATVs. I have been using one on my GSX for few years now and it has been working perfectly.

There are few different models available and unfortunately I don't remember which ones were preferred from top of my head. Quick googling resulted this page that gives some clues:

http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm#SH847_SERIES_RR_KITS_ARE_NOW_AVAILABLE_

You can probably save some money by searching second hand ones from Eblag. If you like I can check the model number that I'm using now. 

If you get one of the series ones, it drops the oil temperature of the motor by about 10degrees - the shunt type (99% of reg/recs) dumps the current back through the stator coils and generates heat - it's why stator coils always look like they've gotten really hot - it's because they have. The series ones do run a bit hotter themselves, about 50-60degrees, so they always feel really toasty.