gsx cams in gs1000?

wraith

Just been looking on that site and had a look at a gs1000 which he says has gsx1100 cams put in it and a gsx1100 clutch, amung over bits.

Not shoure about the cams bit as one is 8v and the other is a 16v, but can you put a gsx1100 clutch in a gs1000 and whats the benafit?

Anybody know

1 hour ago, wraith said:

Just been looking on that site and had a look at a gs1000 which he says has gsx1100 cams put in it and a gsx1100 clutch, amung over bits.

Not shoure about the cams bit as one is 8v and the other is a 16v, but can you put a gsx1100 clutch in a gs1000 and whats the benafit?

Anybody know

Cams are completely different..........

GSX clutch has extra plates ......so you need basket and hub.......I think they put the GSX basket on the GS gear...;)....Garry Hurd or Roger Upperton will know 100% :tu

4 hours ago, gsx said:

Practical sports bike ran a feature on some bloke that built an xr 69 from scratch including frame and arm ,

Reckoned hardest part was making a gsx clutch fit a gs 

It's not that hard,,,they use the same plates and gearbox shaft is same length and spline...swopping the gear is hardly the most challenging of jobs for a decent machine / fab shop 

Edited by Duckndive
On 25 February 2016 at 7:16 PM, wraith said:

Anybody know

Did they remember to fit the Gsx powerband?

4 hours ago, wraith said:

Cheers all,

thought the cams bit was bs, so as I am building a tuned gs1000 motor (1100cc, cams etc) is it worth putting a gsx clutch in my GS, as I was going to put HD springs in the basket anyways and which gsx1100 clutch do I use? The 1100et or 1100efe?

You would need an ET basket and Hub....IIRC

Primary gear has 87T same as 2v motor.....

Edited by Duckndive

Been looking on that site and their seems to be two types of clutch basket/hub, one has a solid outer like a gs850/1000g and the other has slots like the gs1000 chain drive has.

So which is the right one off/for the gsx1100et?

Edited by wraith
Put the et bit I

Right then curiosity got the better after I read the article mentioned .....

So I chucked a GS 1000 box in a set of cases ........and yes the basket don't go straight in....:$

But TBH 1/2 hr. with a grinder would have it in as its the web on the cases that's stopping it...in fact if you was to grind the case where "the cover bolt is on right of pic" it would need about 3 - 4mm off the basket.....or massage the web on the cases..."that,s what I did on me EFE cases to make it easier to get me slider hat off"

if ya man took 6mm of the basket and then the same off the face of the hub "as that what it looks like in his article" then his hub is going to be loads weaker...9_9

ANy ways as they say a pic is better than a load of drivel so make your own minds up.............

12791035_10208634288078342_3272085146371

PS its not rocket science to work out the dims as you hardy have to keep taking it apart all the time.....but then that would not make column inches would it ..:v

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 3
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2016 at 7:57 AM, Duckndive said:

Cams are completely different..........

GSX clutch has extra plates ......so you need basket and hub.......I think they put the GSX basket on the GS gear...;)....Garry Hurd or Roger Upperton will know 100% :tu

GSX clutch fits a GS1000, but you need to take about 7mm of the basket.

Surely if you're taking meat off the clutch basket, in effect you're turning it into a GS1000 basket & defeating the point? 

That's why SPS has produced that (7mm?) spacer plate so you keep the extra plates in the GSX clutch, & also explains why the rack is longer on std & lockup versions ;) 

• Like 2