GS1000G

Hi I need help, I've just started a top end rebuild on my GS as it was running a bit rough and had a couple of minor oil leaks.
What I found was a horror story, number 3 barrel has two massive grooves in it, the piston was missing one circlip and the other circlip was 2mm diameter too small and ready to fall out.
the gudgeon pin/ wrist pin was scraping against the side of the barrel.  I've measured my barrels and they are 73mm inside diameter, the pistons are marked with the numbers 350. am I right in thinking that this has been over bored a lot in the past.
Am I going to have to get new barrels, pistons and rings? Or can a standard barrel be bored out by 3mm

IMG_20240628_102807338.jpg

IMG_20240628_101342334.jpg

IMG_20240628_102733700.jpg

73mm is a 1085cc kit, probably Wiseco.

I've had the same issue in the past with Wiseco circlips.

You can get a 73.5mm overbore, assuming the damage in your bore isn't too much. I'd get the 1100cc kit from Cruzin Image.

Well, according to APE website 73mm is the largest overbore (+3mm) for the GS1000. But subject to the liner thickness you could use 74mm pistons for a GS1100. As it stands that liner is toast so its either replace the liner and overbore it out to match 73mm and check all the others for wear or pull the plug and take it out to 74mm? APE don't list a 73.5mm set but I didn't check everywhere LOL!

3 minutes ago, imago said:

O.o That's got to be a mistake (or bollocks)? Full kit of four pistons, ring sets, pins and a head gasket for $140:00 (£110:00).

Nope, just a bargain.

I've used 2 of their kits with no problems. As have many others. They're good quality.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, marco said:

I just measured the liner thickness and Its 1.4mm thick. definitely toast. it is a standard 997cc barrel that has been bored to its max then

Not toast.

I checked, and Wiseco still make the 1100cc 73.5mm kit too, as sold by SPS.

Another 73.5mm Kit

Much more expensive. Personally, having experience of both, Id rather use the CI kit.

20 minutes ago, gs7_11 said:

Nope, just a bargain.

I've used 2 of their kits with no problems. As have many others. They're good quality.

That goes way beyond being a bargain, it'd cost half that for just the head gasket from the usual sources.

5 minutes ago, Dezza said:

If the pistons are fine, then wouldn't the problem be solved by a secondhand reasonably standard block re-bored to size? I have no idea as to how difficult GS1000 blocks are to obtain though.

There are a few sets on a well known auction site for a bit over £100 with pistons.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try to find another set of barrels,

unfortunately I'm in South Africa so no auction sites here and the shipping would be probably more than the cost of the parts.

The groove in the barrel is at least 1mm deep so only about 0.4mm left at that point on the liner.

at least there's a half decent engineering place near to do a rebore

19 minutes ago, imago said:

That goes way beyond being a bargain, it'd cost half that for just the head gasket from the usual sources.

I know.

In fact, I think I'll order one now before someone catches on! :)

obviously there's shipping to pay, but theyre still cheap, and the 2 I got slipped through customs without any charges. Result!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, gs7_11 said:

I know.

In fact, I think I'll order one now before someone catches on! :)

obviously there's shipping to pay, but theyre still cheap, and the 2 I got slipped through customs without any charges. Result!

I honestly don't know how they do it at that price. 

Had the same kit in my gs1000g but it was £84 when I got it probably about 8-10 years ago and never had a problem with it. 

They are not a high comp kit, just standard comp but they do the job very nicely. (y)

As to @marco problem, yes another set of barrels and have them bord to the pistons. I'd replace all the piston clips to be on the safe side 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2024 at 8:09 PM, gs7_11 said:

73mm is a 1085cc kit, probably Wiseco.

I've had the same issue in the past with Wiseco circlips.

You can get a 73.5mm overbore, assuming the damage in your bore isn't too much. I'd get the 1100cc kit from Cruzin Image.

I had the same issue, also with Wiseco.. Didn't know it's a thing..