How many GSX1000SZ Katanas left in the world?

16 hours ago, general_piffle said:

Good evening all, I wondered how many GSX1000SZ bikes were ever made in the first place, so the big Kats qualified for homologation? 

And if there's a register for the 1000s, or if we have any idea of how many are left? Thanks!

Katana Owners Club would be a good starting point 

• Like 1

Wish I had bought the V&M Kat thou that broke a load of speed records at Elvington back in the day.

Was being sold by Ace in Chapel but couldn't quite make the deal happen.

Often wonder what happened to it.

23 hours ago, R1guy said:

What’s the point in a gsx1000?

Shouldn't they all have had a big bore conversion by now?

1170cc as a minimum, 1428 or more at best…

Because its a ‘homologation’ special specifically to allow them to go S/bike racing back in the day…..

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 3:24 PM, general_piffle said:

Good evening all, I wondered how many GSX1000SZ bikes were ever made in the first place, so the big Kats qualified for homologation? 

And if there's a register for the 1000s, or if we have any idea of how many are left? Thanks!

Hard to find in the west but production continued in Japan after imports to the west ended, so that's where I would look if wanted one. They're collectible in Japan too so not cheap

18 hours ago, RGSX said:

Hard to find in the west but production continued in Japan after imports to the west ended, so that's where I would look if wanted one. They're collectible in Japan too so not cheap

Think the 1000 only had limited run of a couple of years.

Fairly sure it wasn't a long term Japan model like the 1100 was.

8 hours ago, Fazz711 said:

Think the 1000 only had limited run of a couple of years.

Fairly sure it wasn't a long term Japan model like the 1100 was.

This is correct. The 1000 production timeline was only over 1 or 2 years (I believe 81/82).

However, after the initial run the 1100 was manufactured in Japan for the home market from 1994 to 2000.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, general_piffle said:

This is correct. The 1000 production timeline was only over 1 or 2 years (I believe 81/82).

However, after the initial run the 1100 was manufactured in Japan for the home market from 1994 to 2000.

I saw one at a manufactures show just before the pandemic. The Suzuki rep was quite amused at my "WTF is this!" reaction to it. xD I hadn't seen one like that since my brother had an original.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, RGSX said:

I saw one at a manufactures show just before the pandemic. The Suzuki rep was quite amused at my "WTF is this!" reaction to it. xD I hadn't seen one like that since my brother had an original.

I imported my 1100 over from Japan brand new back in 1999. Have had it ever since and will never sell. I was gobsmacked when on a trip to Japan in the early 90s I realised they had started making them again!

Here are some pics of her now, after 25 years of ownership and gradual development from stock.

Kat1.jpg

Kat2.jpg

Kat3.jpg

Kat4.jpg

Kat5.jpg

• Like 4

The example I saw came from Suzuki museum I believe, it was a zero-ish mile show piece. I did search on a Japan bike market and they're still available, I may have a look for one when I go to Japan.

1100s, at least in the UK, aren't exactly difficult to obtain. The 1000 is much rarer though as it was a homologation bike for racing, hence the 998 engine capacity and slide carbs (outside of USA). Weird really because as far as I know the only 1000 kat engined bikes raced were in AMA superbike. Even the factory machines stuck with the GS1000R engine based on the older 4 valve lump, e.g. the 1000cc alloy framed F1 bikes raced by Rob McElnea and Mick Grant in 1983. Probably due to the impending capacity change to 750 for four strokes in 1984, and knowing they had the GSXR750 coming out in 1985.

• Like 1