Turbosmart wastegate.

I have a Turbosmart wastegate on the Blandit. It came with some plugs in a bag but no instructions. Can anyone confirm which are the water cooling ports I can blank off?Screenshot_20240402-145235_Gallery.thumb.jpg.02b34fb83d5c02093a813c25d3707eaa.jpg Also should I run a vent pipe from it or leave as it is?

56 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

So boost doesn't lift the diaphragm against the spring in the waste gate? 

A Boost reference signal does .... normally from the plenum via a 6mm pipe to underside of the diaphragm   

W_GATE.thumb.jpg.1f6bc78ed068624a550093f7032f5c6a.jpg

Edited by Duckndive
Added pic
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

A Boost reference signal does .... normally from the plenum via a 6mm pipe to underside of the diaphragm   

W_GATE.thumb.jpg.1f6bc78ed068624a550093f7032f5c6a.jpg

I don't have any boost reference pipes connected. I did have with old internal gate flap set up. I need to look into this further. It definitely lifts off at max boost. Thanks chaps. :/

• Like 1

I have a "Turbosmart style" external wastegate, and it has 2 ports above diaphragm and 2 below diaphragm and also have 2 plugs and 2 nipples.

What those are, are different positions to actuate the diaphragm, ie. if one port has an obstruction in front the port and you cannot put a hose to it, so you can plug it and instead use the other port.

The one below is where you should put the boost reference and the above nipple is vented to atmosphere to allow the diaphragm to move.

If you have ie. an electronic 3-port boost controller (and efi), the you would put a hose also to the nipple above the diaphragm as is instructed on the 3-port valve diagram.

• Like 1

Manual states and I quote: "DO NOT Mount the wastegate so that the actuator is less than 100mm from a heat source."

I'm kinda new to this, isnt this normally close to a turbine housing and headers? :)

Edited by peter1127
2 hours ago, IhmeJanneFIN said:

I have a "Turbosmart style" external wastegate, and it has 2 ports above diaphragm and 2 below diaphragm and also have 2 plugs and 2 nipples.

What those are, are different positions to actuate the diaphragm, ie. if one port has an obstruction in front the port and you cannot put a hose to it, so you can plug it and instead use the other port.

The one below is where you should put the boost reference and the above nipple is vented to atmosphere to allow the diaphragm to move.

If you have ie. an electronic 3-port boost controller (and efi), the you would put a hose also to the nipple above the diaphragm as is instructed on the 3-port valve diagram.

Can't understand why I don't have a boost reference. I assumed the spring controlled the boost as you can get different rated springs. :S

3 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Can't understand why I don't have a boost reference. I assumed the spring controlled the boost as you can get different rated springs. :S

the pressure at the gate is not necessary actual boost pressure ... 

hence you need a reference PSI signal from the plenum ..

and be very wary off a EG a 6 psi spring being a 6 psi spring ...its best to actual check the spring does lift at the stated PSI..

your gate may well be opening under boost "but the PSI" thats making it open may well be a lot higher than the spring,s rating....

Gets coat and goes back to the wake i,m at :pimp:

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

the pressure at the gate is not necessary actual boost pressure ... 

hence you need a reference PSI signal from the plenum ..

and be very wary off a EG a 6 psi spring being a 6 psi spring ...its best to actual check the spring does lift at the stated PSI..

your gate may well be opening under boost "but the PSI" thats making it open may well be a lot higher than the spring,s rating....

Gets coat and goes back to the wake i,m at :pimp:

Aha. Now I get it. Doh! Thanks for clearing that up @Duckndive(y)

Enjoy the wake. 

Many turbo's come with a boost reference connection on the compressor housing. I also take the boost from the compressor housing, it being the shortest way to the boost controller which in turn sits close to the wastegate.  I have no overshoot or oscillation, and the advertised 6psi spring results in 6psi measured in the manifold. (of course check if its true for your wastegate)  It seems to me that control is better in shorter lines and no large volume such as a plenum that can cause delays. Since many people use the plenum for connection to the  wastegate with good results, I  guess in real life it not a big problem.

Another consideration when using the compressor connection: the hose is short and simple to route, so chance on it getting pinched somewhere under the fuel tank  is much smaller. If the hose is off/closed the wastegate doesnt open, not fun.

• Like 1

Which is fine if you never want anything other than spring pressure boost otherwise you have to add a bleed valve or solenoid valve into that line to bleed pressure to 'fool' the WG actuator into thinking the higher boost is actually lower. And in answer to someone above - actuators are very rarely bolted directly to turbine housings, even where internal WG's are used, the actuator is usually bracketed off the Compressor, or fixed on a short stub pipe to avoid heat AND facilitate mounting!

• Like 1

Decided to fit a boost guage with a recall feature. Will give it a good spank on the dual carriageway and see what it's making. If it's close to 10psi I think that's about right. Not a race bike, just something I've always wanted to build.

Gotta build my kid brother one now coz its more powerful than his H2. :banana:

• Like 2