Bikes Eligible for a Show

Paulm

Ok boys and girls,what do you think a bike should be like to be put on a OSS show stand?

My own view is,if its allowed on OSS it can go on the stand,ratter,project,shiny, chop,bobber,race bike,even standard,they are all interesting in their own way,the myth that a bike has to be all shiny and mint is a load of bollocks in my opinion.So over to you people,I'm interested to hear your views......

• Like 8

Agreed, personally aside from it fitting in with the OSS ethos/rules I'd say the only criteria is that it needs to be a roller with most of the big lumps in place so that people can at least see what it's going to be.

The OSS stands at shows I've been to over the last 12 months have had a pretty wide range and mix which seemed about right. Covered everything really, shiny show bikes, rarities, oddities, ratty, WTF?, great engineering, imagination and all points in between. So I think the only thing to be added would be more bikes and some new stuff that hasn't been seen as well as older builds which haven't been seen for some time.

Is 12 bikes about the average number required for an OSS stand?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

what about none Suzuki bikes that use a Suzuki engine and running gear that are more suzuki than the doner bike ? like my zed !!!!  

They're within the OSS rules/definition for the forum.

Shaggy's drag bike was a big hit and draw at the OSS stand at Stafford in October, and the only thing even vaguely Suzuki on that was (some of) the cylinder head. xD

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, imago said:

Agreed, personally aside from it fitting in with the OSS ethos/rules I'd say the only criteria is that it needs to be a roller with most of the big lumps in place so that people can at least see what it's going to be.

The OSS stands at shows I've been to over the last 12 months have had a pretty wide range and mix which seemed about right. Covered everything really, shiny show bikes, rarities, oddities, ratty, WTF?, great engineering, imagination and all points in between. So I think the only thing to be added would be more bikes and some new stuff that hasn't been seen as well as older builds which haven't been seen for some time.

Is 12 bikes about the average number required for an OSS stand?

There's no set number for bikes on a stand,we'll deal with the bikes we have and the space we have at any given show,I don't need to know that a bike takes up 2.5 square mtrs and we have 50 square mtrs of space so 8.75 bikes will fit on the stand:D,sometimes it's a bit tight for space but then again one show I went too we only had 3 bikes on the stand,there was lots of room at that one:D

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

what about none Suzuki bikes that use a Suzuki engine and running gear that are more suzuki than the doner bike ? like my zed !!!!  

So,are you bringing it to Suzuki Live then in June? 

1 minute ago, TonyGee said:

could be interested if its aloud ????  

I've just asked you haven't i? I'll be organising it for OSS so I guess the buck stops with me:tu It was a great weekend last year.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, clivegto said:

Even a frame is interesting as far as I am concerned and all the stuff that's fitted as well as how. Tony's Z/suzuki build would be a great bike on the stand. 

Agreed Clive,some people are stuck on the shiny complete bike idea,so I thought this thread would maybe change a few minds and generate more interest In bringing something along to show.

6 minutes ago, Paulm said:

Agreed Clive,some people are stuck on the shiny complete bike idea,so I thought this thread would maybe change a few minds and generate more interest In bringing something along to show.

Yes mate that's why I brought the scabby as fook Spondon project to Donington and the Zooma to Stafford last year. 

Edited by clivegto
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, Paulm said:

I've just asked you haven't i? I'll be organising it for OSS so I guess the buck stops with me:tu It was a great weekend last year.

yeah but would  I have to change the badges on the tank to suzuki ones !!!!!!!  

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, imago said:

I don't know about the other shows, but if you want to see a bare frame at Stafford or Newark a wander round the paste tables outside should have you sorted. xD

Some very interesting bare frames on our stand as well as UK Specials some time's. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Some very interesting bare frames on our stand as well as UK Specials some time's. 

Each to their own I guess, a bare frame does nothing for me personally. Until it becomes a motorbike it's just a collection of tubes.

16 minutes ago, imago said:

Each to their own I guess, a bare frame does nothing for me personally. Until it becomes a motorbike it's just a collection of tubes.

Some interesting stuff out there. This one is a NWS slabby frame X TT bike now known as the Turbo Scratcher. 

NWS_frame_back_from_coaters_030.JPG.59c9451687cb74c6229d51c1d42d538e.jpeg

• Like 2

The thing for me is,if there is a bare frame on the stand or a project,people are hopefully going to come and look and start asking questions about them,thereby becoming potential new members,variety is the spice of life as the saying goes I'd like to see a project bike on the stand more often which is why I try and encourage members to bring them along.

• Like 3

Everyone has different tastes and interests within the motorbike world, I suppose the trick is to have as wide an appeal as possible on the stand.

A frame with a race history or whatever is just a frame to me, but someone else will find it fascinating, Fitting a turbo will have one person open mouthed in admiration, someone else will glance and shrug.  A Kreidler Van Veen is a fascinating machine to me, someone else sees a spindly thing they wouldn't pause to look at. So it goes.

The stands I look at as I wander round have something away from the norm in terms of engineering and build. They're well lit with people who chat to you and know their stuff, with a good mix of bikes on display that you can have a good nose at.

I think looking at the OSS stand you have to take into account that it's not a club stand, so it doesn't have membership fees and consequently isn't going to have the whole 'banners, lighting and floor display' thing that others do. Bike wise there's a good mix, and there are people on the stand who know their stuff and are happy to chat with people. The dark corner at Stafford was shit which didn't do the bikes any favours, and wasn't very inviting to passers by.

Is there an aim for the OSS stand beyond people from here getting together for a laugh/drink/chat? If not then it's bang on. If there is then just change stuff to move towards the aim, whatever it may be.

@imago

The aim is to meet up with like minded people from OSS and have a good time while our bikes are on show,I don't think we have failed in that respect in all the time I have been doing the shows,the stand at Stafford wasn't the best the we've ever had but the  bikes still had a lot of attention over the weekend,you just have to make the best of it which I think we did,regarding not having lights etc,we don't need them as far as I'm concerned,the bikes do the talking inside,outside,light,dark,even in the rain,not being professional about it(for want of a better description) is a bonus to me and people like Classic Bike Trackdays,Mortons etc seem to want us at the shows so we must be doing it right as we are,long may it continue:pimp:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Paulm said:

@imago

The aim is to meet up with like minded people from OSS and have a good time while our bikes are on show,I don't think we have failed in that respect in all the time I have been doing the shows,the stand at Stafford wasn't the best the we've ever had but the  bikes still had a lot of attention over the weekend,you just have to make the best of it which I think we did,regarding not having lights etc,we don't need them as far as I'm concerned,the bikes do the talking inside,outside,light,dark,even in the rain,not being professional about it(for want of a better description) is a bonus to me and people like Classic Bike Trackdays,Mortons etc seem to want us at the shows so we must be doing it right as we are,long may it continue:pimp:

Which is what I said in my post? 

If it's Suzuki Framed, Engine'd or based and it fits within the OSS ethos then its welcome on the show stands as far as I'm concerned. Theres places for the shiny trailer queens, the scabby rats, barn find project, incomplete projects or even bare frames. If something draws people to the stand and strikes up conversation then its done its job IMO

• Like 1