1981 GS550L Odd Liquid out exhaust.

Thanks to the help of may here and my lucky fumblings I have been able to get my 1981 GS550L running. While working on solving an electrical issue I notice some liquid dripping from the left muffler (White Circle).

image.thumb.png.c5e03af47a3b09943af199284f20e29c.png

This liquid seems to be dripping from a bolt/insert/,,,,something (Red Arrow). Sitting still the liquid looks to be building up on this item (Green Arrow) before falling to the floor. Thinking this could be oil coming from the engine somewhere, I climbed under while running  I can see the liquid sometime spraying directly from the exhaust out of the bolt thing (Red Arrow).

image.thumb.png.118f4f33b688f7a666da4885e5feedc6.png

This liquid seems to only be coming mainly from the left side. I think I have seen a few drops on the right side, but it is like a 99/1 ratio.

I gave the liquid the finger rub test and maybe kind of oily but I would call is more water like. Also it doesn't smell like gas or burn oil. Also not getting a thick black exhaust that would make ma think super rich mixture or burning out.

So I am a bit lost. Could it be water? If so where could it be coming from? If oil is there a way to enter the exhaust without burning?

25 minutes ago, geogsxr said:

Hi. Condensation from the heat cycles of running the bike, very common on most petrol engines, will be leaking out the drain holes in the muffler. Good luck with your GS, great bikes. G

Ahhh. That make sense. Seems odd to me that after 10-15 min there is a pool that large. I am seeing a drip or two on the right side, but the left side is a waterfall in compresence.

36 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Have you never noticed the stream of liquid coming from car tailpipes after they've been sitting at a stop sign, once up to running temps it tends to stop!

Noticed something, but figured that was fuel exhaust. I am still learning what to expect.

On 1/11/2024 at 3:29 AM, ProducerBill said:

Thanks to the help of may here and my lucky fumblings I have been able to get my 1981 GS550L running. While working on solving an electrical issue I notice some liquid dripping from the left muffler (White Circle).

image.thumb.png.c5e03af47a3b09943af199284f20e29c.png

This liquid seems to be dripping from a bolt/insert/,,,,something (Red Arrow). Sitting still the liquid looks to be building up on this item (Green Arrow) before falling to the floor. Thinking this could be oil coming from the engine somewhere, I climbed under while running  I can see the liquid sometime spraying directly from the exhaust out of the bolt thing (Red Arrow).

image.thumb.png.118f4f33b688f7a666da4885e5feedc6.png

This liquid seems to only be coming mainly from the left side. I think I have seen a few drops on the right side, but it is like a 99/1 ratio.

I gave the liquid the finger rub test and maybe kind of oily but I would call is more water like. Also it doesn't smell like gas or burn oil. Also not getting a thick black exhaust that would make ma think super rich mixture or burning out.

So I am a bit lost. Could it be water? If so where could it be coming from? If oil is there a way to enter the exhaust without burning?

Taste it

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...