turbo build 2023

• 4 weeks later...

To progress further with the engine tuning, I need to finish the bike enough so I can ride it down the road.

BRAKES....... I need them so I stripped down the rear brake that I had and it was useless.

More £££££

New parts ordered and everything reassembled and then I decided to fit the thumb brake that I have from another project.

It looks weird mounted on the handlebars and my one picture doesn't really help but with new homemade stainless brake lines, new fluid and it works very well. There is a surprising amount of feel when you push the lever and I actually think that it will be easier for me to handle any wheelies.

:(

Despite my efforts of trying to tune the bike, I noticed that the spark plug on Number 4 cylinder..........as you are sitting on the bike..........seemed to be a bit leaner than the other spark plugs.

I swapped the plugs and coil packs around but the problem was the same.

The Suzuki fuel injection system is mounted upside down from its normal GSXR600 orientation so the injectors are on top.

Fuel was entering from the left hand side of the bike and then exiting out of the original fitting, between 3 and 4 cylinders. This fitting was actually the original Suzuki INLET . I have circled this in the photo.

Despite the fuel rail being pressurized @ 3 bar,  was the fuel taking the path of least resistance ??????

I have now swapped the fuel pipes over so the inlet is as Mr Suzuki intended.

If the problem persists, I will blank off the original Suzuki inlet and just feed the fuel in and out of the main fuel rail.

On 3/31/2024 at 10:06 PM, Breadman said:

Despite my efforts of trying to tune the bike, I noticed that the spark plug on Number 4 cylinder..........as you are sitting on the bike..........seemed to be a bit leaner than the other spark plugs.

I swapped the plugs and coil packs around but the problem was the same.

The Suzuki fuel injection system is mounted upside down from its normal GSXR600 orientation so the injectors are on top.

Fuel was entering from the left hand side of the bike and then exiting out of the original fitting, between 3 and 4 cylinders. This fitting was actually the original Suzuki INLET . I have circled this in the photo.

In and out at the end of the rail seems a better solution to me, so basically as your picture but at both ends. 

• Like 1
On 3/31/2024 at 11:13 PM, Breadman said:

Despite the fuel rail being pressurized @ 3 bar,  was the fuel taking the path of least resistance ??????

If the problem persists, I will blank off the original Suzuki inlet and just feed the fuel in and out of the main fuel rail.

I would first try swapping the injectors to see if it's injector related issue. But yes, it's possible that your fuel rail layout can affect too, especially on idle and low load.

• Like 1
On 3/31/2024 at 9:13 PM, Breadman said:

I assume that there is a FPR somewhere? 'Most' installs have the regulator after the injectors - at the rail outlet or soon after. This negates the 'path of least resistance' thought as the whole rail will be at pressure, at all times. If fuel exits, say, between 3 & 4, the pressure will be the same but fuel 'may' stagnate as there is no flow past it - although the effect should be minimal as it will be used and replaced through use.

I have two rails with 8 injectors - in bottom left, loop from bottom to top on right, with FPR on outlet top left - no problems with differential flows or pressure over injectors. If one cylinder is persistently showing a lean condition it might be a dirty or sticky injector? A clean and flow test may be wise as its unlikely to 'get better' with use!

• Like 1

All good info. Thank you everyone.

I will change the fuel rail and get rid of the Suzuki fitting and just have fuel coming in at one end and out at the other.  Makes sense really.

Will test the flow from all the injectors again.

FPR is in the correct place but I will check, check and check everything again.

:)

Posted (edited)

Fuel Injector testing this week and with the unmodified fuel rail, there was a significant lack of fuel on the right hand cylinder.

After modification of the fuel rail, I now have a very steady flow across all injectors. I even moved the injectors across to different cylinders and everything still seems ok.

In other news, the front brakes are proving to be a pain to bleed so it's a cable tie around the lever and I will return to that next week.

I have to remove the swinging arm again as I'm not happy with the clearance between the frame and chain. I have a better condition chain guide rubber so it is a good time to fit that.

The bandit swinging arm in the Gsxr frame gives a shorter wheelbase and I have also got a smaller rear sprocket. This means the chain runs much closer to the swinging arm so a better condition chain guide is a good idea.

The brembo clutch master cylinder looked good on the outside, but the piston and seals needed replacement. New parts ordered and yet another job for next week.

The blue petrol tank in the previous pictures has no mounting lugs for the frame and side panels. I have another petrol tank which I will fit but I need to weld new fuel line fittings to it. Next week will be busy and the good weather is coming so there is much to do.

Another set back happened today........the fuel pump I was given has now starting to make a nasty grinding sound.  The fuel tank has plenty of fuel so it's not air causing cavitation.

A new pump has been ordered. I am fed up of delays caused by secondhand parts.

Saving money is good. 

Messing around fixing stuff is bad.

I also checked the fuel filter but all looks good and clean. ??20240411_111247.thumb.jpg.633c6c96d53866906818c51852322e54.jpg

Edited by Breadman
  • Like 1

Personally if that is your pump pre filter, It would be suspect through design that it can cause aeration of the fuel going into it. 

I prefer the factory (sock type, internal pump type)( external pump, a length of hose 3/8'' or 10mm before the pump and a little cartridge filter)  as a pre filter to EFI pumps or something similar and more so a void/ space area before the inlet for suction.

But thats me.

I had a sintered type like above in a clear hosing and saw this aeration post filter.

Happy pioneering.

Cheers Andrew.

Edited by GSX1100dreamn
Added info
  • Like 1