Can't get ignition timed, points worn to much?

My dyna ignition broke and I'm back to points. I can get 1-4 timed to the firing mark but then can't get 2-3 in spec, seems there's not enough adjustment. A guy on YouTube had the same problem and he said his points where to worn. So is it any truth to this? I don't have much experience with points. 

Doesn't make much sense as surely the rotor must have a lobe each side, 180 degrees apart, so unless one lobe (the 2-3 in this case) is stupidly worn, the firing point should be same as 1-4 but 180 degrees away? The points cam wiper does wear but you adjust the points to account for that and restore the correct gap !

There's only one lobe on the rotor. 

I checked the gap and it was to close, I adjusted it to 0.3mm and checked static timing with a test light and it helped but there's still a minor difference as 2-3 can't get within range. Checking timing with a timing light the timing seems to drift a bit. Idle isn't stable. There's pitting on the rotor lobe as well so I'm thinking I'll just have to fork out for a new Dyna set. Can't seem to find just the sensor 

If there is only one lobe then there is a set of points missing LOL! Or you have two to many cylinders!

A Dyna S has a rotor with one magnet but two pick-ups 180 deg. apart - the same would be true if using points!

If no 2nd set of points there is nothing to fire the 2&3 coil - it shouldn't be working at all!

5 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

If there is only one lobe then there is a set of points missing LOL! Or you have two to many cylinders!

A Dyna S has a rotor with one magnet but two pick-ups 180 deg. apart - the same would be true if using points!

If no 2nd set of points there is nothing to fire the 2&3 coil - it shouldn't be working at all!

The dyna uses ONE magnet. It has TWO pickups. When it passes the left pickup, it triggers cyl 1-4 to fire. When it passes the right one it triggers cylinders 2-3 to fire. 

The points ignition uses ONE lobe, and TWO points. When it passes and lifts the left point, it triggers cyl 1-4 to fire, then the lobe spins 180 degrees clockwise and lifts the right point triggering cyl 2-3 to fire. 

Thats how it works in a waste spark system like the gs has. 

VideoCapture_20230712-233533.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gorbys said:

The dyna uses ONE magnet. It has TWO pickups. When it passes the left pickup, it triggers cyl 1-4 to fire. When it passes the right one it triggers cylinders 2-3 to fire. 

The points ignition uses ONE lobe, and TWO points. When it passes and lifts the left point, it triggers cyl 1-4 to fire, then the lobe spins 180 degrees clockwise and lifts the right point triggering cyl 2-3 to fire. 

Thats how it works in a waste spark system like the gs has. 

You've just repeated what I wrote! :stop:

Its not nice to get sarky if someone is trying to help! I haven't the benefit of having the antiquated shite in front of me to see whats what! :(

On 7/11/2023 at 10:18 PM, gorbys said:

My dyna ignition broke and I'm back to points. I can get 1-4 timed to the firing mark but then can't get 2-3 in spec, seems there's not enough adjustment. A guy on YouTube had the same problem and he said his points where to worn. So is it any truth to this? I don't have much experience with points. 

Was your Dyna module suspended in rubbers, or bolted to the frame?

16 hours ago, redgs1000 said:

Had similar problem after fitting new points . Ended up making a bigger slot after that it starts easy and idles smooth, they weren't OE but were meant to be good quality 

The thought crossed my mind but didn't have the appropriate tools at hand xD

On 7/13/2023 at 3:13 PM, gsxwill said:

Just a thought could one of the condensers be braking down? :) you'd still get spark but would not run correctly, my old gs550 suffered that a lot >:(

Seems to run alright under cruise and higher rpms. 

The annoying thing about all of this is Dyna doesn't supply any spare parts, so if one sensor goes, you need to buy a hole new unit. Unless you can find a used one for  spares