Strongest GSX F/R 1100 engine?

Stephtell

The older 1052 cc engines are marked U7xx-.

The 1100F engines have helix gears on the crank/clutch basket, which creates some axial loads you can do without on a highly tuned engine.

As said above, the double bearing on the output shaft is preferrable on a high performance engine, and the Bandits had slightly thicker liners (+0.5 mm IIRC).

The 91-92 shim heads are said to be more prone to failures of the rocker arms/shims, but I have no experience of that myself. 

The clutches with ordinary springs are easier to beef up if needed, compared to the later ones using a disc spring. 

Otherwise, I don't know of any significant differences. 

Edited by Nik
On 2/1/2023 at 11:26 AM, Nik said:

The older 1052 cc engines are marked U7xx-.

The 1100F engines have helix gears on the crank/clutch basket, which creates some axial loads you can do without on a highly tuned engine.

As said above, the double bearing on the output shaft is preferrable on a high performance engine, and the Bandits had slightly thicker liners (+0.5 mm IIRC).

The 91-92 shim heads are said to be more prone to failures of the rocker arms/shims, but I have no experience of that myself. 

The clutches with ordinary springs are easier to beef up if needed, compared to the later ones using a disc spring. 

Otherwise, I don't know of any significant differences. 

Not seen the helical primary actually cause any issues in reality tho. And the teeth have a larger surface area than straight cut. 

18 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Not seen the helical primary actually cause any issues in reality tho. And the teeth have a larger surface area than straight cut. 

There alright even with turbo's fitted but the crank sideways bearings get more pressure on them so do wear quicker. Fantastic motors all of them but I do like the 1100f. Mr 7/11's original slabby was an F there was a very good reason people wanted them for there 7/11's and it wasn't that they were just cheap.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I think the issue with helical gears is they have a tendency to push apart under extreme loads, this can cause early bearing failure amongst other issues . In many competition cars straight cut gearboxes are a common upgrade one downside is that straight cut gears can be noisier than helical

Clive beat me to it :tu ya too cool for skool Clive.....

Edited by DAZ
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, DAZ said:

I think the issue with helical gears is they have a tendency to push apart under extreme loads, this can cause early bearing failure amongst other issues . In many competition cars straight cut gearboxes are a common upgrade one downside is that straight cut gears can be noisier than helical

Clive beat me to it :tu ya too cool for skool Clive.....

Straight cut gears sap less power than helical, that's why race cars and most bikes use them, they aren't necessarily stronger. 

The helical gears on the F were used for refinement. 

• Like 3