1150 flywheel removal

rodneya

If you use a good torch so you can keep the indirect heat away from the rotor and in particular the magnets / glue, a pretty much good amount of heat can be used - but heat it hot and heat it quick then stop - continual heat soaking will eventually get to the magnet glue, then its toast. I've known flywheels to take 24+hrs under extreme puller torque - patience is required!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Ingenious !, never heard about that one !, but practicality . . . . . hmmm LOL!

First time I tried this was kind of desperate attempt after all "normal" tricks including non-sensible hammering and heating had failed. And it shifted the flywheel at first try. But it was a loose crank with a flywheel so it was relatively easy to pour water in and then throw the whole package into freezer. Like said, gets more complicated if the crank is attached on the bike...

Not sure if your heating first then applying the puller, I would try fitting the puller and tightening it up before applying any heat. Use a wet cold out the freezer tea towel around the rotor to reduce heat spread, the ones I’ve done pop off without twatting the puller hard, freezer spray is also a good shout as the shock from heating to fast cooling might persuade the bugger off, good luck