gsx-r 1052 engine - head surface

Framotors

Hi guys, greetings from Italy.

I'm refurbishing a GSX-R 1100 H engine I got for free years ago. The previous owner told me it was used for track days and tuned up a bit, but it looks completely stock to me.

IMG_20221028_190617.thumb.jpg.7fdddcac11a70c8c38e57cb427a0c6a4.jpg

I have a doubt anyway: the head plain is very low around cylinder 4-intake side (at the same level of head cooling fin) while the other side is higher, about 1,5mm more. Is it normal or is it the result of a bad machining work?

Low side, same level of fin

IMG_20221028_190608.thumb.jpg.b28cbf5cde1463c722be4bad0221e1eb.jpg

Opposite side, much higher

IMG_20221028_190554.thumb.jpg.9078759081c189a52c67b55bdc54a75a.jpg

Thank you

• Like 1

IMHO what is most important is that all four compression chambers have the same volume , so make simple test by pouring some diesel fuel or motor oil with calibrated syringe in all four comp.chamber , than notice and compare compression chambers volumes , if all four comp. chamber have the same volume than that cylinder head is OK .

Its certainly not right! The 'dent' looks like someone attacked it with a hammer and nail! Looking at the surface there is little evidence that its been surface ground or face milled, so bearing in mind the potential deck height difference, I'd hazard a guess that someone tried DIY surfacing with emery paper and a sheet of glass, leaned on one side too heavily without swapping ends!

• Like 1