Some Minor Mods - GS1000EN

Rudeman

Picked up a GS1000EN last year; July 2014.

DSC_1462.jpg

Got rid of the horse-plow bars and the lame bar-end mirrors. Replaced them with a set of touring/superbike bars and Napoleon mirrors. The stock length control cables were replaced with some GS1000SN units.

1000EN%20Front%20side%20view%20new%20sea

A list of work done:

Rebuilt carbs and replaced intake boots/O-rings.

Replaced stock headlamp with Hella unit

Installed new OEM fiber clutch plates and Barnett springs

Installed Dyna S ignition and fresh NGK plugs

Replaced fork seals and installed Progressive springs. Installed a Telefix fork brace.

Adjusted valve clearances and synched the carbs

Replaced the Kawasaki-looking seat cover with a Pit Replica OEM copy.

New%20Seat.jpg

Installed a new Vance and Hines pipe in place of the MAC.

12218997_10204679972271164_149643273_o.j

Installed some Tarozzi rearsets; those things are SWEET!

IMG_20151114_133824781_HDR_1.jpg

IMG_20151114_133800534_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151114_133819792_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151114_133753359_HDR.jpg

Still have a set of slotted rotors and black vinyl covered SS braided brake lines waiting to be installed.

Edited by Rudeman
  • Like 5

Can I ask by the way...what was the MAC pipe like, I have a GSX1100EX and was thinking of getting one but have read mixed reviews. What's the V&H like is it really loud. Thanks David.

The MAC was okay but I wanted to open it up a bit. The damned baffle would NOT budge. My original plan was to drill a few holes in the internal (forward) plate and then six 3/8" holes in the outer plate to let it breathe a little more. I didn't want to risk damaging the pipe so I started exploring some other options.  I decided to go with the V&H. Couldn't beat the price and they have a good reputation. It's louder but totally reasonable, more aggressive sound. One other thing was that V&H recommends rejetting the carbs where a couple of others say it's not necessary. I would go with a V&H. It's lighter and I think it performs better. They cost about the same. I bought mine from Bike Bandit; $359 US delivered. I sold the MAC for $175.

Looking good, any other plans?

Nothing other than detailing it here and there and maybe an oil cooler. I have a GS1000ST that I screwed up when I installed a big bore kit in it. It ran so bad that I hardly ever rode it and finally parked it. Then it was vandalized. Long story short, I'm doing a frame up resto on it and I am seriously considering reverting it back to stock displacement. I have everything except stock cams, but Yoshimura Stage One cams are pretty mild so I may stay with them.

My_GS1000S.jpg

The 1000EN will remain stock.

I have to agree. They are simply beautiful. Kinda drives me crazy when I see one butchered.

You wont like mine then:v although i perhaps wouldnt use the word butchered , sympathetically modified sounds soooo much better LOL

11863446_10152894580950870_8994238728653581909_n.jpg

Edited by Jonboy
attach picture
  • Like 4

Thanks for that Rudeman. You have got me seriously considering the V&H. I have a Marvin on it at the moment, but to me it feels strangled and very flat. There is a full standard system for sale in the states but its off a 1983 GSX100EZ  and not 1000% if it will fit...although the part numbers are the same. Thanks David.

Thanks for that Rudeman. You have got me seriously considering the V&H. I have a Marvin on it at the moment, but to me it feels strangled and very flat. There is a full standard system for sale in the states but its off a 1983 GSX100EZ  and not 1000% if it will fit...although the part numbers are the same. Thanks David.

I had a Marving on my ET for a while and would have to agree that it felt really flat. I did like the style of the pipe though and did have intentions of shortening the tail pipe and fitting a small diameter can. A V&H would lookk good but would be no good for a European climate:D

You wont like mine then:v although i perhaps wouldnt use the word butchered , sympathetically modified sounds soooo much better LOL

11863446_10152894580950870_8994238728653581909_n.jpg

Wouldn't really consider that a hack job or butchered. It still looks like a GS1000. Very well executed.

Edited by Rudeman
  • Like 1