GSX 1100es head gasket

So a good start with the exhaust coming off easily, first time in over 30 years , but step 2 not do good, the end covers for the cam covers, the ones with 2 Philips head screws in each, I thought a good old fashioned impact driver that you hit with a hammer would do these, but no, I had 3 suitable sized driver bits and I broke the tips of all 3, one of them still stuck in the screw head, any recomendations on how to loosen these screws, not touched since about 1985 ???

I would try to heat them as much as you dare. Maybe several cycles and soaking them with WD40 or similar in between. As last resort you can drill the heads off. Usually it's relatively easy to wind the stub out once the head is gone. But in this case the remaining stubs will be pretty short so it might be difficult get a grip on them...

After all the effort to loosen them I found that you don’t actually need to, the rocker cover comes off with them still in place   
so I have the head off now, just wondering should I take the barrel off as well? , no particular need to unless there any O rings that could do with replacement?, otherwise maybe don’t try to fix what isn’t broken might be appropriate?, I also think maybe refitting the barrel on my own while in the bike could be a bit fiddly, any thoughts or advice??

Now another problem, the head gasket came in a set marked as GSX1100es but it’s not quite right at the ends, on the original there are 4 holes at each end with an o ring, the new set doesn’t have these and the holes are not big enough to take an O ring, if I look on the Internet they all look the same though, these holes certainly appear to be oil channels, has anyone done this or have any thoughts on it ?

8A91168D-9CCB-480A-A642-7FA54D726A94.jpeg

Due to different market designations ... there is a 1135cc ES and a 1075cc ES.

One has a square tube frame ans is also know as the GS1150.

The other has a round tube frame and is loosely inspired on its predecesor : the air-cooled Katana.

You can tell them apart by the years.

Both old and new gaskets appear to be steel, both have 5 layers, if we ignore the centre hole then the larger ones either side of it are that size because they have a stud running through them, this looks like it is the oil supply to the cams, the oil does not flow straight up the stud as there is an angled channel cut into the hole, I assume that the outer set of 2 is for the oil return 

7D4932FB-907D-4F86-8514-25EB84B8D87A.jpeg

0F9BE26A-DCEA-43E7-848F-8DAFA200A385.jpeg

3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

The gasket on the right is either a 'weirdly' coloured copper gasket in which case it'll need the barrels machining for wire rings or its a base / barrel spacer? The top right larger hole (stud hole) looks like it should take a locator ferrule?

Why do you need to machine the barrels if using a copper gasket?

6 hours ago, PaulP said:

But is it normal to have O rings on these positions, I am certain that the one coming off is original as I bought the bike from a friend when it was just 1 year old, I sort of assumed that all GSX11 engines would be similar ? ?

on the new gasket does it have a raised lip around the oil holes you are talking about? (check both sides)

one side should have it, if so no oring is needed .