Gsx frame vs gs. Difference?

G'day to you all. 

I got my hands on a dirt cheap fully functional gsx 400 e 1983. 

I'm thinking about butchering it to a brat but I have really hard time finding decent info and inspo on this particular bike.

So I'm curious if the gsx is same frame roughly as the GS series? As far as I can find it's just engine difference?

Thanks in advance.

When I saw the tag line my brain started thinking GS1000 / GSX1100 but then a 400! Most peeps here, don't consider things less than 600 as viable unless its a 2 smoke LOL! so don't expect too many replies but with a large selection of hammers, grinders and welding equipment, and with time and ingenuity - most anything can be made to fit anything else!

2 hours ago, Harleybane said:

G'day to you all. 

I got my hands on a dirt cheap fully functional gsx 400 e 1983. 

I'm thinking about butchering it to a brat but I have really hard time finding decent info and inspo on this particular bike.

So I'm curious if the gsx is same frame roughly as the GS series? As far as I can find it's just engine difference?

Thanks in advance.

All you need is an angle grinder and a welder.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Dezza said:

How many cylinders does the engine have? In the early 80s Suzuki produced a four cylinder air-cooled GSX 400. If you have one of those it will generate much more interest on here than if it's a GSX(GS) 400 twin.

Is that the one with the weird sort of fairing on the front?

1 hour ago, Reinhoud said:

Is that the one with the weird sort of fairing on the front?

No, I do not think it came with a fairing. 400 f = four; 400 t = twin. The t came as either GS or GSX depending on spec/market, if I remember correctly.

400.jpg

Edited by Dezza

Harleybane; welcome and maybe introduce yourself.  

Model names can be different in different countries, so photos of your motorcycle will be helpful.

Nothing wrong with a smaller motorcycle, especially if most of you riding is on city streets or narrow country roads.  Skills you learn from this project can be applied to the next one.

8 hours ago, Dezza said:

No, I do not think it came with a fairing. 400 f = four; 400 t = twin. The t came as either GS or GSX depending on spec/market, if I remember correctly.

400.jpg

Nah, that's not the one I had in mind..

This is the one I was thinking of, forgot that there are about a million different models..

gsx400x.jpg

Edited by Reinhoud
54 minutes ago, dedubyah said:

I think that its a GSX400X, also known as the Impulse or Bandit

The photo I posted is the GSX400x, I knew it was also called the impulse, didn't know about Bandit. I'm not good with models/names.

I'm probably the only one who likes the GSX400x, had a look at one as a first bike, long time ago.

Edited by Reinhoud