Camshafts swap Gsxr1100 to GSX1200

Naim

Hi everyone!

I'm considering on buying gsxr1100 camshafts to my inazuma 1200.

From my knowledge these engines have lots in common and many parts are swappable.

The guy selling cams but with entire cylinder head but still in good price, he sent me some photos and I figured out that gsxr1100 had shim under bucket valve adjusters while my GSX1200 has a screw valve adjusters.

I don't want to change the entire head, just the cams and ofcourse the existing cam sprockets.

Will it work?

1 hour ago, Naim said:

all oil cooled 1100's had shim under bucket valve adjusters?

No, only the later M,N models. The other GSXR1100s all had screw and locknut adjusters, the cams of which go into a Blandit 1200 head. I think you need to use the Blandit cam sprockets as the Blandit uses a different type cam chain than the GSXRs. My 1100 slabside engine definitely has a different type camchain than my Blandit engine but if this is not the case for the later slingshot GSXRs K,L models (screw adjuster) then someone will clarify later. Oh, I am assuming the inazuki or whatever it's called has a 1200 Blandit engine:)

Edited by Dezza
6 minutes ago, Dezza said:

No, only the later M,N models. The other GSXR1100s all had screw and locknut adjusters, the cams of which go into a Blandit 1200 head. I think you need to use the Blandit cam sprockets as the Blandit uses a different type cam chain than the GSXRs. My 1100 slabside engine definitely has a different type camchain than my Blandit engine but if this is not the case for the later slingshot GSXRs K,L models (screw adjuster) then someone will clarify later. Oh, I am assuming the inazuki or whatever it's called has a 1200 Blandit engine:)

Most probably INAZUMA has a Bandit engine, thanks for help Dezza regardless your mocking tone :-)

Fortunately I haven't bought the cams with head...ufff that is a relief.

I assume I should be looking for cams from models before 90's?

Also can't I use sprockets from my existing cams?

1 minute ago, Naim said:

Most probably INAZUMA has a Bandit engine, thanks for help Dezza regardless your mocking tone :-)

Fortunately I haven't bought the cams with head...ufff that is a relief.

I assume I should be looking for cams from models before 90's?

Also can't I use sprockets from my existing cams?

I meant below 1991

Morning and welcome to OSS. Have a look at this http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/archives/404 this will tell you which oil cooled parts will interchange with which oil cooled motor. If you manage to do something different than is in there please let us know how you did it and the size of hammer you used xD.

In answer to your question. In simple terms you the GSXR 1100 had  two types of valve adjustment, the screw type and shim. If your bike has got screw type valve adjustment you will need a camshaft from a GSXR 1100 with screw type valve adjustment. Next check your cam chain as there are two types of these. The GSXR 1100 has a normal type chain (like a bicycle one) the Blandit has a different type I believe they are called HiVo chains. If your motor has one of these then you will need to swap the camshaft sprockets from your old camshaft to the replacement GSXR 1100. Hope this helps

Found your other post Naim - those 750 cams would work pretty well - other cams that would work well are the gsx1100f (big teapot), these give good peak and spread of torque. Those 40mm bst carbs wouldn't be ideal, without work you'll lose lower range power and gain a little at the top - you would need to blend the ports to suit the big carbs and rubber inlet manifolds, else you'll lose more power - 36mm carbs would be more suitable unless you tune the engine - raised compression, flowed head, big bore etc even then the 36mm carbs are good for a road engine.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Oilyspanner said:

Found your other post Naim - those 750 cams would work pretty well - other cams that would work well are the gsx1100f (big teapot), these give good peak and spread of torque. Those 40mm bst carbs wouldn't be ideal, without work you'll lose lower range power and gain a little at the top - you would need to blend the ports to suit the big carbs and rubber inlet manifolds, else you'll lose more power - 36mm carbs would be more suitable unless you tune the engine - raised compression, flowed head, big bore etc even then the 36mm carbs are good for a road engine.

Thanks mate, I'm waiting for delivery, I'll let you all know how it works.

For a time being I still haven't decided how far to go with engine mods.

I have decided to buy those mikuni carbs for two reasons...I found them very cheap, 2nd I couldn't deal with my present CVK's.

• Like 1