bike not starting

v-twinwalker

other night i got my bike started and it turned right on everytime after id shut off, it was idling low but it would stay on, if i revved quick itd die out. but today i went to start and got only electric mainly no crank, messed with throttle cable and got it cranking but not staying on, then one time after i let go of starter it turned right on, and then died out eventually it first revved at 600 then 800, the carbs are out of sync cylinder 1 doesnt open well till warm and 4 is a little off but im going to change sparks to find out. one other thing is the first time i would try starting after it sat it would give a jump, i did replace the sparks and got them gapped correctly one of them i had to mess with but they're all at .6-.7. i also hear a clicking when starting now. gonna get battery tested again anyways i just got it yesterday i dont expect that to be it but when it was charging it did end up showing error sign. also i understand that throttle issue is prob carbs not an electric thing, 

heres a vid of trying to start dont know why it got so pixelated was filmed on iphone

https://media.textnow.com/?t=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJ1c2VybmFtZSI6ImlhbnN1Y2tzIiwia2V5IjoiNDMxZGE4ZWYtZGNkZi0xMWU5LTkzMmItMGNjNDdhYzJkMjI2Lm1wNCJ9.7TcGQ8WGY1oMN7yQC3O-p3B3IWwJD0QSYQ0SLcnXAoc&h=431da8ef-dcdf-11e9-932b-0cc47ac2d226.mp4

Edited by v-twinwalker

Not read all your other posts, but from what I can tell you have fucked throttle cable and way out of balance carbs.

So starting from the start,

1. You have the right ht leads going to the right plugs, ie coming from one coil going to plugs 1/4 and the other coil going to 2/3?

2. Your getting fuel to the carbs?

3. Fuel is getting the the cylinders ie if not starting are the plugs getting wet?

4. Is the air filter clean?

5. When bike ran, where all down pipes hot or where some just worm?

Edited by wraith
Phone changed hot to got :(

If this is all not a series of wind ups, then everyone has to start sometime:) It would help to first say what model and year the bike is. Do you need it for daily transport and do you have a shed? If the answer to these questions are: no and yes, then congratulations you now have an OSS project bike. First, make sure you have a decent basic tool kit and consumables. A bench helps too. Then we all go on from there.....:)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, wraith said:

Not read all your other posts, but from what I can tell you have fucked throttle cable and way out of balance carbs.

So starting from the start,

1. You have the right ht leads going to the right plugs, ie coming from one coil going to plugs 1/4 and the other coil going to 2/3?

2. Your getting fuel to the carbs?

3. Fuel is getting the the cylinders ie if not starting are the plugs getting wet?

4. Is the air filter clean?

5. When bike ran, where all down pipes hot or where some just worm?

all other posts r dumb i couldve figured out myself and did basically, yes plugs r fitted correctly aslong as left coil is for 1 and 4 and right coil is for 2 and 3, sparks 2 and 3 are working great, spark 1 has barely any discoloration where its supposed to spark, and is pretty clean other than old stuff that was in the hole so not good, spark 4 isnt reacting all that good but it reacts, and is wet with fuel, no air filter right now just the part of the airbox that fits on carbs is on there so its just open, when running pipe 2 and 3 give off the most heat, pipe 4 gives heat but not as much as 2 and 3, and pipe 1 really only gets warm. since 1 and 4 arent reacting well and thats how its hooked up can the coil be part of the issue?, hence part of the issue.

6 hours ago, Dezza said:

If this is all not a series of wind ups, then everyone has to start sometime:) It would help to first say what model and year the bike is. Do you need it for daily transport and do you have a shed? If the answer to these questions are: no and yes, then congratulations you now have an OSS project bike. First, make sure you have a decent basic tool kit and consumables. A bench helps too. Then we all go on from there.....:)

82gs650gl, no dont need it right now but will soon enough. i have a shed in the back but im using my garage for lighting. yeah its a project bike alright, i got the tools for it n stuff just not the knowledge as of right now i know people are telling me find somebody who does to work on my bike but the one person who did know had my bike sit and do nothing in his garage for weeks, so im gonna take it on myself. im not dumb just new to it right now but ready to learn ive been doing other small fixes this is just my main problem i need help with

53 minutes ago, v-twinwalker said:

all other posts r dumb i couldve figured out myself and did basically, yes plugs r fitted correctly aslong as left coil is for 1 and 4 and right coil is for 2 and 3, sparks 2 and 3 are working great, spark 1 has barely any discoloration where its supposed to spark, and is pretty clean other than old stuff that was in the hole so not good, spark 4 isnt reacting all that good but it reacts, and is wet with fuel, no air filter right now just the part of the airbox that fits on carbs is on there so its just open, when running pipe 2 and 3 give off the most heat, pipe 4 gives heat but not as much as 2 and 3, and pipe 1 really only gets warm. since 1 and 4 arent reacting well and thats how its hooked up can the coil be part of the issue?, hence part of the issue.

From what I can tell you are saying, I would get 4 new plugs and get a air filter. Some of you running/not running will be down to not have the air filter fitted and the carbs set as standard, to much air without the filter, also duff plugs will not help.

7 hours ago, wraith said:

From what I can tell you are saying, I would get 4 new plugs and get a air filter. Some of you running/not running will be down to not have the air filter fitted and the carbs set as standard, to much air without the filter, also duff plugs will not help.

the plugs are new and yes that does make sense about getting too much air, the reason it was took off first is because it wouldnt start and taking it off did the trick, but you do smell fuel very dominantly when its running so i thought it wasnt running lean but rich, maybe its just cuz its an old bike. 

edit:  i dont know what duff plugs r

edit: can the ignition coil go bad

Edited by v-twinwalker
7 hours ago, Poldark said:

"do you have a shed?"

"i have a shed in the back but im using my garage for lighting."

Even though we all supposedly speak English, there are translation issues.  "shed" in UK = "garage"  in US.  Same with "garden" and "yard".

Now back to the discussion....

Beg  to differ :stop:  In the UK a shed is a shed and a garage is a garage - they are not interchangeable. For most people - you wouldn't park a car in a shed as they are less than 100 sq ft! and will just about take a bike with some space around it. :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Poldark said:

I may be mistaken.  Many "shed" pictures I have seen on here look large enough to park a car in it.

In order to eliminate confusion we could begin using the term "auxiliary utility building adjacent to dwelling".

My garage (shed) is up the end of the garden away from any dwelling so violates this description. Also, the cows at the farm over yonder in winter live in a huge building know as a cowshed and it's definitely big enough for several cars, tractors etc.O.o Anyway, OSS is not Oldskool Semantics, unless someone misuses the word 'Katana.'

28 minutes ago, Dezza said:

My garage (shed) is up the end of the garden away from any dwelling so violates this description. Also, the cows at the farm over yonder in winter live in a huge building know as a cowshed and it's definitely big enough for several cars, tractors etc.O.o Anyway, OSS is not Oldskool Semantics, unless someone misuses the word 'Katana.'

Do you mean a 600 or 750 Katana? :pimp:

• Like 2
On 9/22/2019 at 5:14 PM, wraith said:

i replaced the spark that wasnt burning, and swapped 1 and 2 and also 3 and 4 out with eachoher. refitted airbox and put a jerry rigged filter on it, and it started up right away. the idle wasnt stable but i can say its a throttle cable issue bc i can adjust the issue by tightening or loosening the cable but itll drop or go high again if i move the cable, it did higher the idle after i let off from revving so yeah throttle cable.

another thing is im having a fuel delivery issue because the bike died out, but when i primed carbs it started up and sat idling, i will say my vacuum hose is two pieces put into a bigger hose to keep them together, and some electric taped wrapped around the bigger tube, so ill have to replace that. also my fuel line thats connected to carbs is dried out and is split where my fuel filter is connected, im not sure how to replace the fuel line without taking carbs out because i cant take the airbox out where its connected to carbs.

carb 2 and 3 are still hotter but 1 and 4 were basically right behind, 1 was actually hotter than 4 this time.

heres a vid or two and a picture of my air filter. trust me the air filter is not a permanent fix and barely a temporary its just so i can run it and make sure everythings working how it should

https://media.textnow.com/?t=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJ1c2VybmFtZSI6ImlhbnN1Y2tzIiwia2V5IjoiYzgwYjgzZmEtZGU2Ni0xMWU5LThkMTMtMGNjNDdhYzI4MjhhLm1wNCJ9.IkDcR42WxriEO4zMIQ84aB108cbQSAUmjrXJch5SDIk&h=c80b83fa-de66-11e9-8d13-0cc47ac2828a.mp4

https://media.textnow.com/?t=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJ1c2VybmFtZSI6ImlhbnN1Y2tzIiwia2V5IjoiY2M2YTVkZWItZGU2Ni0xMWU5LTkzMmItMGNjNDdhYzJkMjI2Lm1wNCJ9.fSqLOlwZrvywYoBmH_Ngq1LMY0NOtQ1l2BW5H1Ce0yk&h=cc6a5deb-de66-11e9-932b-0cc47ac2d226.mp4

?t=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJ1c2VybmFtZSI6ImlhbnN1Y2tzIiwia2V5IjoiNDMwNGYwMTctZGU2Ny0xMWU5LTkzMmItMGNjNDdhYzJkMjI2In0.LA8qaZyuZNPb0puJPDZ8zpcY_xN8XZf5p2emqDTKd6I&h=4304f017-de67-11e9-932b-0cc47ac2d226

Edited by v-twinwalker

im having a fuel delivery issue im going to get a new throttle cable when i can but when i rev quick it dies out if i do a gradual twist it stays on but i have to prime carbs for it to stay on, i replaced vac line so thats fine now, my throttle cable has a big part to this, but whats a carb issue that makes fuel not be able to deliver itself an only on prime . eh it doesnt sound so bad it vibrates and makes a bit more noise then it used to. 

edit: might sound confusing what im saying but the throttle cable moves around freely on the handlebar, and when the bike wasnt starting this morning but cranking, i just tightened the cable up and it stayed on, i keep avoiding messing with the carbs i know but ive never in my life touched a carb and am a bit afraid to take over the job, ill have to inevitably if a new cable doesnt do the trick, but i gotta get to carbs anyways to get to the cable, seems like itd be almost impossible to refit one on without taking carbs off

Edited by v-twinwalker