Slabbie won't turn over!

Hi all

I've got a 1988 1100 j  that hasn't run for about 20 years. Engine is free I turn it over regularly and put oil down the plug holes. I am now at last able to bring her back to life. 

I put a battery in connected up the electrics but she wouldn't turn over. I've got power to the clocks,high beam and indicator dash light. The headlights  rear lights front indicators aren't connected. Is there something I am missing. I have been following Martin Childs slabbie build in classic motorcycle mechanics  and am doing a similar build. 

I notice he mentions a resistor in the wire immobilisation which was an early theft prevention . Not sure if this was a standard fitting or something someone fitted to his bike.

I don't remember any immobiliser  fitted to my bike when I was riding it just turn the key and press the button.

Anyway you may have gathered electrics aren't my strong  point so any help is welcome

Cheers 

Hi,

does the starter turn? if it does and it's not starting, you should check for spark and check the spark plug connections.

also check fuel and compression on all cylinders would be a good start.

if it's not turning, check the basics: solid connections and that your fuses are in good shape.

These are quite basic in wiring, there is no resistor on the ignition switch just later stuff like bandits as to stop people hot wiring them. 

If you have power and the motor won't spin over when you push the button its going to be a signal to the starter relay, duff relay itself or starter motor. Trace the wire coming off the starter motor back to the relay and bridge 2 big contacts with some pliers or piece of wire this will prove the starter. If that works see if the solenoid is clicking when you press the starter. If it is then relay wants swapping. If it isn't clicking check the side stand switch, clutch switch and neutral switch. 

Im crap with electrics and had the same problem.as you.

I couldn't believe the cure - my mate tapped the starter motor lightly with a hammer and it slowly started working. Told me the contacts corrode when stood.

You tube how to test a relay as they give up and are easy to swap.

I would take the starter out and test it on a bench.

Get a known good battery and connect directly to the starter after first disconnecting the bike's wiring from the battery, main earth, starter motor etc.. Connect the positive to the starter motor connector then quickly connect the negative to bare metal on the engine block. Sparks will fly especially if you are not quick doing this so it helps not to use this method in a garage full of paint thinners fumes or similar.... If the motor cranks over OK then the problem is in your bike's wiring; if it does not crank over, or cranks slowly, the starter motor is at fault.

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Dezza said:

Get a known good battery and connect directly to the starter after first disconnecting the bike's wiring from the battery, main earth, starter motor etc.. Connect the positive to the starter motor connector then quickly connect the negative to bare metal on the engine block. Sparks will fly especially if you are not quick doing this so it helps not to use this method in a garage full of paint thinners fumes or similar.... If the motor cranks over OK then the problem is in your bike's wiring; if it does not crank over, or cranks slowly, the starter motor is at fault.

I'm electrically clueless. Apart from the sparks igniting something, is there any other risk wit doing this? Seems really simple

1 hour ago, wsn03 said:

I'm electrically clueless. Apart from the sparks igniting something, is there any other risk wit doing this? Seems really simple

No, use a good set of jump leads though that are unlikely to slip off of the connections:)

• Like 1

Thanks for the advise.  Is good to know I'm not the only who gets baffled by electrics. 

Been so long since I rode the old girl . 

Is that right the clutch needs to be pulled in before starting ? Can't remember doing this when I last rode it although I think modern suzuki need clutch in to start.

Clutch lever is off the bike at moment as it's been fitted with new front end (k9 1000) so this may be the problem .Will fit it and see what happens.

13 hours ago, Dezza said:

No, use a good set of jump leads though that are unlikely to slip off of the connections:)

Thanks Dezza, I need to not be so scared of electrics - I'm slowly learning but do find it all a bit daunting. 

2 hours ago, harryhoarder said:

T

Is that right the clutch needs to be pulled in before starting ? Can't remember doing this when I last rode it although I think modern suzuki need clutch in to start.

My 85 Slabbie does not need clutch in to start. My 2001 Bandit does. I'm guessing you don't need the clutch, but hopefully someone with knowledge of your model can confirm