Slabby Oil Pump question

wsn03

Many years ago my v low mileage slabby 750F started getting an oil light on at tickover. I had no time to even do an oil change in those days so I relied on some pretty shit mechanics.

One head mechanic at a very large motorcycle shop said "turn the tickover up"....hmm

Then I took it to an established "expert" who allegedly changed the oil pump, telling me he'd made a special tool to measure oil pressure to work out mine was a knacker.

I later learned that the guy was totally full of shit, once I saw the horrendous mess he made of my carbs, and stuck the bike in the corner of the garage until better days came along (the divorce).

Questions: anyone know if oil light on tickover means oil pump on way out? Are they known for failing? Anyway to easily measure pressure to know if all is well in any engine?

Oil boilers do not have a reputation for low oil pressure and as most switches trigger at stupidly low pressure it is a sign of a problem ....... they usually have an excess of pressure and flow so have to bleed excess off. No oil changes and bodgy meckniks don't bode well i'm afraid! The best place to test is main galley plug on the RH side of the crankcase where a gauge could be fitted and get an accurate reading.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Oil boilers do not have a reputation for low oil pressure and as most switches trigger at stupidly low pressure it is a sign of a problem ....... they usually have an excess of pressure and flow so have to bleed excess off. No oil changes and bodgy meckniks don't bode well i'm afraid! The best place to test is main galley plug on the RH side of the crankcase where a gauge could be fitted and get an accurate reading.

I should have been clearer. I didn't have time but I still did change the oil religiously, so the oil was good. Thanks for the heads up on how to get a reading

33 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Yeah - good call, or shite in the switch?

Another interesting possibility.  So the pumps don't have a reputation for giving up - I thought not.

On a positive note the old bastard is missing most of his teeth and riddled with arthritis- the lying theiving cunt

I would just check the pressure for a start.

I think the oil pump is the heart of oil boilers, in the near future i'm planning on adding a fixed gauge next to instruments panel for pressure n temp.

Haven't tested mine yet but i got a pressure gauge of e-bay and planning to check at next maintenance.

oil.thumb.jpg.6260ef608fede639058de345ee97e96f.jpg

• Like 3
8 hours ago, yyt said:

I would just check the pressure for a start.

I think the oil pump is the heart of oil boilers, in the near future i'm planning on adding a fixed gauge next to instruments panel for pressure n temp.

Haven't tested mine yet but i got a pressure gauge of e-bay and planning to check at next maintenance.

oil.thumb.jpg.6260ef608fede639058de345ee97e96f.jpg

Thanks for that, very helpful.  Is that from a Suzuki workshop manual or Haynes?

7 hours ago, wsn03 said:

Thanks for that, very helpful.  Is that from a Suzuki workshop manual or Haynes?

Suzuki :tu,I've got it in PDF if you need it but its a massive 28mb so probably won't email, maybe someone on here can tell you where you can download it from...:)

Edited by Simbec1863
4 hours ago, Simbec1863 said:

Suzuki :tu,I've got it in PDF if you need it but its a massive 28mb so probably won't email, maybe someone on here can tell you where you can download it from...:)

Thank you for that. If no other options perhaps one day I can arrange to get a copy off you in return for a large crate of beer ? (y)

• Like 1