kevinlunatic

Hi I have just bought myself anothe Gs1000 having owned 1 for over 10 years in the 80s and 90s just had to have another. The bike feels like the chain is jumping on front sprocket (it isnt) when you pull away only does it when you pull away so not gear box or anything else must be clutch pulled the plates out and they all look OK but will replace them all and springs and probably the thrust bearing and (if I can find the tool I made years ago to hold the clutch basket while  I loosen the centre nut) the roller bearing but as I am not seeing anything wrong am a little bit worried I have not found the problem. Any one ever had anything simler having owned and abused one of these for so long I thought I had found every problem possible but this is a new one for me. Thanks in advance

Edited by kevinlunatic

I do occasionally suffer a similar effect on my daily - not a 'zuki so won't mention it - and its shaft drive so deffo no chain to skip! I believe its clutch related also - changed the plates a while ago and hasn't done it so much recently. These clutches seem to be a bit particular with friction material and oil used. I tend to stick with OEM for plates and a mineral or semi synth changed every 6 months. Ridges in the basket teeth won't help either but seem less of a problem than they should be!

Dont worry I wont hold it against you as I also have a yamahaha and a harley furguson as well as my 3 suzi's and have always had a bike on the road since 79 but never come across anything like it even my local dealer (bikes not that) says clutch but does not know what part no ridges or grooves in the basket and given the choice I would run it on old school GTX style real oil never trusted all this new fangled synthetic rubbish (now I am starting to sound like my old man) :) was going to order EBC plates as they seam to be about the only thing available these days

does it in 1st and 2nd  but stops as soon as the clutch is out no problems at any other times tried rolling in top from low speed and tried heavy throttle as soon as clutch is out  and it does not matter if I use high revs or low to pull away. looked ot OEM parts from robinsons and full clutch is over £250 EBC is just over a £100  EBC ordered for now this is only a bike for fun as have 4 other bikes 3 of which are running and legal and a classic yank car and a daily so I dont need it to be perfect just there when my rose tinted glasses are on :)

2 hours ago, kevinlunatic said:

does it in 1st and 2nd  but stops as soon as the clutch is out no problems at any other times tried rolling in top from low speed and tried heavy throttle as soon as clutch is out  and it does not matter if I use high revs or low to pull away. looked ot OEM parts from robinsons and full clutch is over £250 EBC is just over a £100  EBC ordered for now 

Dose sound like something in the clutch, I'd also check the springs in the back of the clutch basket, as I've see them brake before.

I put EBC plates in one of my bike (oil cooled motor) as they where cheaper BUT after less then 100 miles the new EBC plates where fucked to the point I could put the bike in first gear let the clutch out red line the revs and the bike would not move >:(

So put OEM clutch in and had no problems :D:D sometimes it's worth spending the extra money first time. (y)

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2019 at 4:48 PM, kevinlunatic said:

Dont worry I wont hold it against you as I also have a yamahaha and a harley furguson as well as my 3 suzi's and have always had a bike on the road since 79 but never come across anything like it even my local dealer (bikes not that) says clutch but does not know what part no ridges or grooves in the basket and given the choice I would run it on old school GTX style real oil never trusted all this new fangled synthetic rubbish (now I am starting to sound like my old man) :) was going to order EBC plates as they seam to be about the only thing available these days

Welcome to O S S i had a similar feeling till i tightened the main stsnd bolts but that whould vibrate under low reves also 

I do agree on using Mono grsde oil tho as my bkke does not like part /full sympathetic or even just multi grade oils ...