slow cranking 1170et

anyone else ever suffered with slow cranking probs? (apart from after Friday night at the dog and dragon)

Have 1170 wiseco, good battery, good earth /leads  and good starter plus tried other starters just in case.

stock cams at stock settings.ignition timing bang on - both static full advance and strobe @ 3500 checks marry up well.

any advice /experience ??

Edited by berty
missed out couple words
  • 4 months later...

You could try changing the starter to the Mitsuba sm229 field coil type as fitted to older GS motors. They are a straight swap for the ND permanent magnet type & seem to crank faster particularly if you use bigger battery leads & a Motobatt battery. You can rewire them to 6 volt too they crank even faster then but I don't understand how to do that. A guy called Paul Cashio in the US does this.

Edited by coombehouse
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8 July 2015 at 11:14 PM, KATANAMANGLER said:

Yes it's quite common on the ET with 1170 kits. The answer , I believe,  is to fit and EFE starter motor and intermediate starter gear . This solves the the problem. @Deeds did this just a couple of weeks ago because he had the same problem on his 1170 ET.

Just to update - the Efe intermediate starter gear I have  found to be 2.4mm thicker front to back . Which fouls the geny cover sitting Flat by about .5mm . Glad I noticed geny  cover rocking - prior to the introduction of any bolts .

Worth checking if anyone is thinking of this mod . 

Edited by berty
Spelling