Let's talk fuel pumps......

Sam-Jaffa

I think I'm overthinking things but we'll see, due to space being a issue under the tank etc I'm looking at possibly running a fuel pump to feed the carbs on a bandit 12 motor, I know alot of the turbo applications run them but I was curious if anyone had run one without a turbo?

5 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

GSX1100G (basically same engine and carbs as B12) has a fuel pump from the factory

Ooh, didn't know that! Cheers CC!

1 hour ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

The RF900 runs a fuel pump. Low pressure. When the carb bowls are full it cuts out.

I'll have a look at some wiring diagrams KM cheers for the info

dr750/800 has a fuel pump operated by the carb vacuum pulses, they have a diaphragm in them that the carbs pulses make ro oscilate, and on the other side of the diaphragm they have the fuel with non return valves so it can only pump one way. several other jap bikes use very similar setups, handy cos it cant overpressurise the carbs so needs no regulator, they dont need any wiring and work pretty reliably with no real vices. not expensive either.

Edited by johnr
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, johnr said:

dr750/800 has a fuel pump operated by the carb vacuum pulses, they have a diaphragm in them that the carbs pulses make ro oscilate, and on the other side of the diaphragm they have the fuel with non return valves so it can only pump one way. several other jap bikes use very similar setups, handy cos it cant overpressurise the carbs so needs no regulator, they dont need any wiring and work pretty reliably with no real vices. not expensive either.

So all it needs to work on a GSXR/Blandit12 motor is a connection between one carb and the inlet port? Has anyone tried one on a four cylinder motor?

7 hours ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

From memory it picks up a signal from the coil.

Yeah, had a Google last night, seems pretty easy to wire one in, 4 wires and easy to splice into the bandit loom.

7 hours ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

P.S don't buy one of the cheap Chinese ones on Eblag they last all of 50 miles.

Glad you said that, I was looking at those last night and added one into my watchlist haha, are they really that bad KM? I may buy one to see how well one works then buy a proper one

1 hour ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

Yes, I later did some googling and many others had the same experience.

groovy, from hearing that ill just get a genuine suzi one, looks like the rf6 and 9 take them aswell as some of the cruisers so should be easy enough to locate one , cheers KM!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Dezza said:

So all it needs to work on a GSXR/Blandit12 motor is a connection between one carb and the inlet port? Has anyone tried one on a four cylinder motor?

yam super tenere has the same sort of pump fitted. its onl to lift fuel from a low slung fuel tank like the big dr tanks slung low by the side of the engine, so pretty much the same as you are planning.