Smaller oil cooler?

scott-s

Picked up a '00 GSX750F to use as a transplant donor for my '80 GS550E.

The oil cooler is rather substantial at 13 rows. The GSX was a fully faired bike and I suspect it's shaped the way it is mostly because of packaging requirements. I see some smaller oil coolers on the auction sires; 9 row, Bandit 600, etc.

The GSX-F was the "milder" version of the GSX-R. Think fitting one of the smaller oil coolers would be an issue? Just trying to figure out where to place things on the '80 frame.

20180130_140209_zpsfxamathx.jpg

The afermarket 9 row coolers tend to be at least double the width of standard. If you use a smaller one than standard you will within reason (less rows but more than half of origional) still get improved cooling.

A 9 row double depth bandit one should be more than adequate. Wouldnt personally use standard size b6 one on a 750 lump

Yeah, I see nice aluminum oil coolers on that auction stite for a 1000cc bike that are much smaller. Here's a nice one for a GSXR 1000 that has the fittings in the right place, is clean and is only about $44 shipped.

Plus, there's a hydraulics shop right by my house. I get all my braided s.s. brake lines made there. I have no doubt that they can make me custom hoses to fit my build. If you think this cooler will work, I'm gonna snag it. It's six rows but obviously thicker.

s-l1600%203_zps6sbdqwsy.jpg

46 minutes ago, scott-s said:

Yeah, I see nice aluminum oil coolers on that auction stite for a 1000cc bike that are much smaller. Here's a nice one for a GSXR 1000 that has the fittings in the right place, is clean and is only about $44 shipped.

Plus, there's a hydraulics shop right by my house. I get all my braided s.s. brake lines made there. I have no doubt that they can make me custom hoses to fit my build. If you think this cooler will work, I'm gonna snag it. It's six rows but obviously thicker.

s-l1600%203_zps6sbdqwsy.jpg

That's for abike that has water cooling too.   You'll need a bigger cooler than that

Just now, scott-s said:

OK, so some of the Bandits have 8 or 9 row coolers....how about those?

Like I said earlier i wouldnt go with less cooling area than standard.

Bandits have smaller coolers because they are lower compression and generate less heat. 

Pretty sure sure the gsxf motor is the short stroke one which revs quite high too. They tend to run quite a bit hotter than a bandit does.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Like I said earlier i wouldnt go with less cooling area than standard.

Bandits have smaller coolers because they are lower compression and generate less heat. 

Pretty sure sure the gsxf motor is the short stroke one which revs quite high too. They tend to run quite a bit hotter than a bandit does.

That would explain why my 1100F engined Katana with B12 cooler runs hot... 

'98 and later Teapot has the longstroke engine (749cc).

My B12 engined EFE has a cooler from an older type Teapot 750, only getting hot in city trafic during summer. I have a thermometer in the oil filler plug and just keep an eye on it, in the past 6 years so far only needed to stop once to let it cool down a bit (hot summer day, riding two-up, stop&go trafic).

IMO a B6 cooler will be ok on your bike.