A few 1100EF questions

Hi! Hope this post is placed right, I'm new to this forum. ;) 

I am soon to be the owner of a mid-80s GSX1100EF, it's in need of som love so I am gonna do a total rebuild. I'm just doing a little research on these bikes, and I discovered this site: http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/GSX1100EF.shtml, it says the '84 model has 114hp, and '85 and on has 124hp, what is the differences here? I'm not sure what year the bike I'm getting is, it was said either '84 or '86 mod. :) 

The bike uses some oil and theres a little blue smoke in the exhaust. Current owner reckoned it to be the valve stems, so I have to do some work to the engine aswell. I want some more power out of it, I have the equipment for machining the cylinderhead, and I've looked at performance cams. But I see there are gsxr1100 cylinder heads on Eblag for much less than new cams etc. Would I be better off just buying a gsxr1100 head? The EF is 1135cc and gsxr is 1052cc, does that mean it won't fit?

Also, since I am rebuilding the engine, or at least the cylinderhead, what parts would be wise to change in addition to prings and stems? The camchain for instance? 

Edited by Ådne95
typo

Hi Adne95, if your refreshing the engine then i'd say deffo renew all seals for piece of mind and any other suspect part, cam chains not expensive but your engine your money so up to you but  how much or how little you chuck into it, and it depends on how far tuning it you want to go.

For more info click on the oldskoolsuzukinfo next to forums above in the red heading bar above then scroll down on right side of page and click on speedy steve racer tuning tips, but this all depends on how far you want to go with tuning :D

Yes, as above. SSR's tuning tips are specific to the EFE engine.

Doing a complete rebuild is costly and doing a rebuild with power increases is more costly still.

For a rebuild and refresh you should allow £300-£500 to cover valve stem oil seals, a complete gasket set and other seals etc etc. I would open up the crank cases and look at the gearbox and crank too just to inspect them for wear. If the valve stem guides are worn new seals wont solve the problem so you need to check them for wear. Slotted cams dialed in precisely would unlock some hidden horses.

If you want to increase performance you are looking at more like £1000-£1500. All of the above but add £500-600 for a 1230 kit and rebore heavy duty cam chain etc, £350-500 for a head port and new valve stem guides. You're over 2k if you want to to put a set of RS series carbs on and your up to 2.5-3K  if you want to fit a performance exhaust to exploit all of the above.

Obviously if you want lumpier cams etc the numbers keep going up.

It's not a cheap business but it's worth it for my money. If budget is a key factor then set your budget and allow for 50% more than you think it will cost. That will determine what you can achieve.

As far as the the GSXR head is concerned I think @Duckndive did this.

I had a Efe at the back end of the eighties, I also wanted to gain more power, but as is nearly always the way my pockets were empty.

So my idea was to increase power trying to use stock Suzuki parts as it would be cheaper than aftermarket parts.

Most of the guys that were running Efe`s went with big bore kits from the states, which meant that there were loads of standard Suzuki pistons around, which are  forged good for turbo`s

The only work I did was replace valve guides and seals, heavy duty cam chain , slotted cam sprockets, heavy duty cylinder studs + nuts, two standard base gaskets and a  80thou spacer to lower compression. Also replaced the oil pump gear for that off a Gsx 750 et to give more oil pressure and straight cut gears to crankshaft and clutch basket

I managed to buy a used Ray Jay turbo from a guy at Santa pod, replaced the bearings and fitted a new super shorty SS carb result 235 bhp at rear wheel.

Never had the chance to run it at Santa pod but was loads of fun on the road.

• Like 1

I had a Efe at the back end of the eighties, I also wanted to gain more power, but as is nearly always the way my pockets were empty.

So my idea was to increase power trying to use stock Suzuki parts as it would be cheaper than aftermarket parts.

Most of the guys that were running Efe`s went with big bore kits from the states, which meant that there were loads of standard Suzuki pistons around, which are  forged good for turbo`s

The only work I did was replace valve guides and seals, heavy duty cam chain , slotted cam sprockets, heavy duty cylinder studs + nuts, two standard base gaskets and a  80thou spacer to lower compression. Also replaced the oil pump gear for that off a Gsx 750 et to give more oil pressure and straight cut gears to crankshaft and clutch basket

I managed to buy a used Ray Jay turbo from a guy at Santa pod, replaced the bearings and fitted a new super shorty SS carb result 235 bhp at rear wheel.

Never had the chance to run it at Santa pod but was loads of fun on the road.

I don't think I'm gonna turbocharge it, but noone knows what the future will bring :)  thanks for the input anyway ;)  What year GSX750ET do you use oil pump gear from? 1980?

Ha, we are also all new to this forum, bud.O.o

Is this forum new? Didn't know :)

Two more questions: I want to get upgraded cams, new exhaust, and maybe new ignition coils if the old ones are bad. What size carbs is appropriate for those modifications?

And If I run this setup, what do I have to do to the oil system? Gsx750et oil pump gear and the top end oil feed kit? 

Edited by Ådne95

Suzuki never used forged pistons till the watercooled engines arrived so that info is suspect - sorry, and not sure about the GSX750 oil pump gears as that was a plain bearing crank and used a different pump / relief valve to get the = 60psi pressures required. The GS gears everyone wants - just get new from Schnitz!

235hp from a stockish GSX and a Rajay - must have been boosting its tits off ! ! !

• Like 1

Suzuki never used forged pistons till the watercooled engines arrived so that info is suspect - sorry, and not sure about the GSX750 oil pump gears as that was a plain bearing crank and used a different pump / relief valve to get the = 60psi pressures required. The GS gears everyone wants - just get new from Schnitz!

235hp from a stockish GSX and a Rajay - must have been boosting its tits off ! ! !

did some research, 1977-83 gs750 oil pump gear (part no 16331-45000) looks just like the gsx1100 oil pump  gear, but has 29 teeths in stead of the 1100's 33 tooth :) expensive though, 150$ for a god damn sprocket :S  couldn't find it in the Schnitz racing online shop?

Edited by Ådne95

Sorry didn't realise the aftermarket sources had dried up - I think it was APE that produced them and everyone else packed them under their own label. They aren't a complicated gear and always in demand so your M8 may have a niche market if he can produce them around the $100 point !

Even better Robinsons list them.......http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/content/pages/shop/parts/Suzuki/GS/GS750/B-DB 1977/gs750boilpump.htm

£61 and change - but they need to order so don't hold your breath! But OSS still gets discount - I believe 10%?

But of course you also need the corresponding clutch drive gear.......http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/content/pages/shop/parts/Suzuki/GS/GS750/B-DB 1977/gs750bclutch.htm  Which will be another £73 and change and a wait. So about £120 all in new - I think i'd be scouring Eblag!

Edited by Gixer1460
Additional info

Sorry didn't realise the aftermarket sources had dried up - I think it was APE that produced them and everyone else packed them under their own label. They aren't a complicated gear and always in demand so your M8 may have a niche market if he can produce them around the $100 point !

Even better Robinsons list them.......http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/content/pages/shop/parts/Suzuki/GS/GS750/B-DB 1977/gs750boilpump.htm

£61 and change - but they need to order so don't hold your breath! But OSS still gets discount - I believe 10%?

But of course you also need the corresponding clutch drive gear.......http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/content/pages/shop/parts/Suzuki/GS/GS750/B-DB 1977/gs750bclutch.htm  Which will be another £73 and change and a wait. So about £120 all in new - I think i'd be scouring Eblag!

Thanks for the information! :D  That's a store I didn't know about, far more reasonable price than cmnsl and the other sites claiming ~£140 for just the pump gear :) 

Reckon it will be much cheaper for me to have my mate make it. If I remember correctly, he made a lot of the gearbox gears for at least one of his twostroke beasts (132rwhp RG500 and a yamaha RD500). I'll definately run it past him to sell these gears! ;)

If you want more power cheaply then you could try and get back the power that was lost between the drawing board and the production line and the present day.  A set of rings, careful clean up of the valve ports and valve heads, skim of the cylinder head to set compression, camgraph for each cylinder and set up optimim cam timing for your needs.  All these take time but cost little and can have an amazing effect.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

If You need parts for suzuki gsx 1100ef or other older suzukis I will recomend :

www.cmsnl.com     they got really well exploded wiev part ,with nr for every parts and are rearly out of stick like many are with these old bikes ,and they have almost always some pounds cheaper on every part, and they ship to almost every where in Europe for 15-20£ in shipping fee

I buy ball my parts from here and can recimend them for sure

• Like 1