40mm cv carbs - might help someone

Just thought I'd share something I did to finally get my 40mm BST carbs' on/off throttle response really smooth. The bike has been freed up on intake and exhaust, plus a bit of porting. I have a Factorypro config 3.0 kit (normally for pods) and had got the carburation pretty good -  good tick over, nice pick up on the needle and pulled good and strong on the mains, but there was a hesitation as the butterflies were just cracked open - fine when having fun, but it was always there when pootling round (has to be done sometimes !). Over time I fiddled around with all the normal things to sort it, different pilots, every option of the pilot screws, check/recheck of fuel levels/float heights, carbs balanced several times - even checked electrics.....

Anyway - my bike has never had any carb vent hoses fitted and just for the sake of it I fitted some and found they affect carburation - the hoses are meant to be pretty long and fitted over the top of the airbox. I didn't have enough tubing to do both, so experimented with different lengths, 4 inch lengths of 6mm bore with plastic pipe narrowing the ends to 4mm have completely cured the slight hesitation on/off throttle (would've been easier to fit 2 x1foot lengths of hose). The bottom end is stronger, really good smooth urge and the mid/high rev performance is as good as ever - 'kin result..

I think the big cv carbs are sensitive to the vent hoses, especially when the bike starts to be altered from standard, as when it was standard, it was pretty smooth - if heavy and not that powerful.

Sorry I didn't take any photos - the vents are the upper ones between 1/2 and 3/4 carbs, they keep the float bowls at atmospheric pressure, I guess the standard hoses cause a slight restriction/damping effect compared with open vents.

• Like 2

I believe it's a lot to do with positioning of the hose end as the under tank area is generally a 'low pressure' zone but does vary so may be adjusted ad infinitum. My CV's used a double tee arrangement to pair them up and vent down by the cases - never any stumbles, just pulled from idle so there is something in it.

9 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I believe it's a lot to do with positioning of the hose end as the under tank area is generally a 'low pressure' zone but does vary so may be adjusted ad infinitum. My CV's used a double tee arrangement to pair them up and vent down by the cases - never any stumbles, just pulled from idle so there is something in it.

:tu pressure differential is what makes these things work - add in damping effect ( hose size etc.). to achieve the desired rate of pressure change signal

going to post the nice intro onto a certain Gurls blouse CB forum - these guys need to learn this stuff, probably time wasted  - just get another lecture on why not to remove the airbox :P