Fuel pump on big bore motor.

ads54

Bit of a strange one this as I've never seen or heard of one fitted before. 

I recently got a bike with a gsxr11 motor which has been bored to 1260 (allegedly)

It's running what look like standard Micky Roonies either 38 or 40, not checked yet, but here's the thing, it running a fuel pump between the tank and twin carb feed! 

Why would this be the case? Never heard of the need to be honest. Because of the tank shape the fuel tap does sit lower than the carbs slightly but it's large bore and fuel should be drawn in by the carbs either way if I'm right in saying?

Now when riding along a straight and level at a constant speed the bike, is quite jerky like it constantly wants more throttle, could the fuel pump be forcing too much fuel in? Or maybe it's the engine not being suited to the road being 1260?

Any opinions much appreciated!

Without a regulator it will def be getting to much fuel from a pump...

but like has been said you should not need a pump in the 1st place......

Pics would be good we like piccys .............9_9

Could always use a proper bike pump like older R1 used - interupter style so doesn't over pressure the float valve. If the tap is close to the float height then gravity flow will reduce the less fuel there is in the tank and flow could diminish enough that starvation could occur on a 1260 motor @ WOT?