(Another) Dot head question!

After all the kerfuffle about these heads, I decided to dig mine out. I was always under the impression it was out of a GSXR motor. Now I'm not so sure! The valve sizes on mine are:

Inlet: 27.49mm 

Ex:  26.37mm

Cast beneath the head  is Pat No (pattern or patent)? 771502.

Painted under no 4 inlet is: 2-317

So, does this give any indication whether this is a GSXR or Teapot head. Also, any info what's on the cams, and lift, would also be useful!

Have both heads the same size inlet tracts?

Edited by Swiss Toni

Well , from memory both 750-j,k & Tea pot heads casting is same! High inlet tracts , Causes carb interface issues on slingshots,(  Frame) if your doing hybrid,  Just cams are  different (Sorry no idea on lifts) but we all know Gsxr cams are best ones for peak power once dailed in on slotted sprockets . 

1 hour ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Apparently the cams from the gsxr750's with dot heads have a B stamped on the right end

very unscientific I know, but a few years ago I measured a box full, a pair with the B mark definitely came from a DOT head gsxr.???

DSCF9195_zps0b1624a1.jpg

Why do you think this is unscientific? You measured diffierent cams from different sources and then compared the resulting data. Admittedly if you wanted to publish a paper on it you would have to get ~10 randomly selected cams per source and then measure those in a double blind way and do a proper statistical test on the data but that isn't exactly practical for OSS purpose. Your approach goes way beyond 'opinion' so should be applauded.(y)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dezza said:

Why do you think this is unscientific? You measured diffierent cams from different sources and then compared the resulting data. Admittedly if you wanted to publish a paper on it you would have to get ~10 randomly selected cams per source and then measure those in a double blind way and do a proper statistical test on the data but that isn't exactly practical for OSS purpose. Your approach goes way beyond 'opinion' so should be applauded.(y)

Its not scientific as I didn't keep a note of which cams came from which engine, the only ones im sure of are the "B" ones, the rest came from 2 x b12's a gsxr 1127  and a power screen O.o

• Like 2

Ok Gary. How's about this?

I found the J/K cams. Stamped into the right side of the cam, between the cam wheel and the first lobe is:

27A  IN.  

180 degrees opposite this is: R1

Cast into the cam, on the left side are the letters B and 180 degrees opposite, C. 

Base circle: 28mm. 

Lobe height: 33mm. 

Ex cam: (Stamped) 27A EX.  R1 ect, 

(Cast):   R and C. 

Now, the cams that came off the Dot head. 

Inlet cam stamping same as J/K cam on right side, but cast in letters on left side are: C and 1. 

Ex cam stamping a same as J/K,

but now cast-in numbers are: B and 8. All base circle/lobe heights same on all 4 cams. 

When I went looking for hotter cams, I happened to find a ratty 89 Slingshot sitting in a breakers yard in Edmonton, Alberta, about 2500km west of me ( I was visiting family). I stood by as the cams were removed from the motor, and they were stamped B (intake) and G (exhaust), so that's about as authoritative as it gets I suppose. My K4 Bandit intake cam was stamped W. The 88 DOT head GSXR cams are both B, and reinforces the statement that the 89 had a softer exhaust cam than the 88.

According to the manual I have, 91 750's are stamped A, except for Sweden which are stamped C on the intake.

Edited by Roger P.