Gear ratios

Hi Clive , I use gearing commander, just Google it to find it .

You can input your bike and any wheel size changes  i.e. mines a slabby motor running 17 rear.

You can also put in different sprocket sizes and it works out top speed for you 

1 hour ago, clivegto said:

I notice different sprocket sizes for gsxr 1100s b12s & 1100f. I presume they have different geabox ratios, does this make any difference to top end speeed on different engines in the same bike all using the same sprocket sizes.

According to http://www.gearingcommander.com/

GSX1100F 88-94 has a Primary drive ratio of 1.522 and final drive gearing of 15-52

The GSXR1100 86-87 is 1.622 and 14-47, the 88 14-46, the 89, 90, 91 & 92 was 1.5652 15-48

The Bandit 1200 00-02 is 1.566 15-45

I had a handy spreadsheet for this, that I used to use to get speeds in gears every time a new bike came along to go racing with.

The maths ain't difficult, if there is some demand I can build another one, could be a useful resource for the site.

But, what they said, Gearing Commander has all the data, so just use that. ;)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ted M said:

I have an Excel spreadsheet that calculates speed etc with different sprocket sizes I can let you have it if you want

I used to have one of those ... but just use http://www.gearingcommander.com/  now. The site takes a few mins to get your head around, but you can have a standard, current, and new set up showing for the same bike, including changes to wheel size, chain pitch and it does it all for you. You can see shift points, and speed in each gear at redline.

Load a bikes standard set up, then mess with the settings to see the impact.