Katana 1170 et bike racer

et1170

• 1 month later...

Amazing weekend at festival of power, ran some really consistent times and nailed a couple of reaction times when it mattered. 4 very close races but I was fortunately on the winning side so won the first event of the year . Top 7 qualifiers within a tenth of dial in, I was 6th. Beat a 250 yamaha 2 stroke, a 180cc rapid scooter, a 8.8 second gsxr1000 and a turbo gsx1400 in the final. A great class , with great racers. Bumped into Anna , fellow winged hammer and a few other familiar faces. Got some wiring to fix now before springspeed in 2 weeks, wires not man enough and melted during starter motor use. Big amp cables and relay need fitting, not sure how? 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, et1170 said:

Big amp cables and relay need fitting, not sure how? 

What do you need to know - if you;ve got the parts, I can explain the method - its not difficult.

Good first outing - watching the video I thought you jumped but just excellent RT! Well done on the Round Win.

2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

What do you need to know - if you;ve got the parts, I can explain the method - its not difficult.

Good first outing - watching the video I thought you jumped but just excellent RT! Well done on the Round Win.

Ran my cut out lanyard through a halfords relay with too low amp wires, when starting it tends to heat everything up a bit! Electrical numpty as you can guess. Looked on Eblag they have cheapo 100a relays, would  rather pay a bit more to have something reliable. Would  pay someone to do it. 

Yeah I can see the problem! I know the ACU make the lanyard kill EVERYTHING electrical - we used to just kill the electrics to the ignition ie. to kill the engine but fuel pumps and nitrous caused issues - can't imagine why LOL!

You'll have to seperate the general electrics from the starter electrics. The general electrics will be switched 'on' via a normal 30 amp relay and the lanyard. Looking at the relay terminals you have 85, 86, 87 and 30 and these will be connected as follows, 30 - 30 amp rated cable to battery, 85 - to chassis / battery negative via the lanyard,  86 - 12v feed from battery and 87 - feed to general electrics via fuse box (ignition, fuel pump, nitrous etc)

As regards the starter i'm assuming you have a push button to spin the starter? If so, you take a wire from the ign. feed to the kill switch and from the other side down to the ign. ecu and the coils. Also from this side (usually internal to the switch) is a feed to one side of the starter button, the other runs down to a specific starter solenoid (a type of relay). Starter solenoids are earthed via their metal mounting to the chassis. The starter solenoid will have two big screwed connections - one side goes to battery and the other goes to the starter motor - both in heavy gauge cable 150+ Amp rated.

Lots of words but it is quite simple.................really LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Another successful weekend at the Springspeed Nationals , Santa Pod. Only 1 qualifier on a rain hit saturday but managed 5th place with a poorly Katana running on 2 cylinders for the last 1/8 mile. Problems for Justin Malton in round 1 so went through on an easing up 10.69 on 10.50. ran a 10.59 in round 2 against Peter to set up a semi final with number 1 qualifier Paul Adams. trimmed my dial in a bit to 10.52 and managed a 10.55 and a red light from Paul Gave it me anyway. Old skool Suzuki final against Stephen Ashby on the Pyro Turbo. Steve had me slightly on both reaction and ET but he had to ride out a turbo wheelie before chasing me down to beat me by about 8 hundredths. A great weekend keeping my points lead for a few more weeks before the summer nationals in June. Thanks to all the crews and riders who make it such a good crack. Last , thanks to my crew this weekend , Carl Hester, George Forest , Dave Forest and Adam Hennessy Long , the band were pretty good saturday night which always helps!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Off to santa Pod tomorrow for the Green Light Nationals , a double header for rounds 4 and 5 of the acu etbike championship. It`s very tight in the points and I really need a good weekend if the weather allows. Off the bike it`s just good to be there and meet up with the et crowd again, partake of a few beers and generally have a good time. Race report will follow next week , wish me luck! 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Delayed report from Green Light Nationals. Day 1 , qualified 3rd with 10.84 on a 10.80 dial in, everyone seems to be getting closer nowadays. round 1 win with 10.99 on 10.8  then lost out in round 2 in a very close race , ran 10.84 on a 10.80 with a 0.07 reaction but Jordan ran 10.22 on a 10.20 to squeak past me by a couple of feet! ended up with 4th place in the points for day 1 . 

Day 2 qualified 3rd again with 10.83 on a 10.80 , won round 1 with a 10.96 on 10.80 , 10.93 saw me into the semi final against points leader and champion of the last 2 years Phil pratt, ran a similar reaction time but found my quickest run of the weekend 10.76 which was too fast so I broke out and gave the win to Phil. 3rd place in the points on day 2. 

This puts me 2nd in the championship with 1 round left at the national finals in a couple of weeks , hope to hold on to 2nd or maybe put some pressure on Phil and take the championship if he has a very bad weekend .   Etbike is a great class , plenty of suzuki`s old and new. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Well!  the national finals was a nightmare! after 3 qualifiers I sat 11th of 12 with 10.73 on a 10.60 dial in. This put me down in 3rd in the points but I just needed to get further than Paul Adams on his gsxr1000 to take 2nd place back.  unfortunately sunday was a wash out so I am left in 3rd. Thats racing I suppose.  Now to build the new EFE motor and go a little faster next year. 

• Like 1