78 GS1000 Left for Dead

busa1300

Dyno today.

It is dialed in as close as possible.....flat A/F ratio except one area about 5500/6000 it is a hair rich...So I'll drop the needle back to the middle clip and should be done. Oh yea, the clutch appeared to be slightly slipping here and there.....damn 40 year old parts just don't hold up xD

85.2HP at 7900....not bad for what started out as a parts bike :banana:

I'll try to down load a vid to youtube and get it on here at some point.

IMG_1024[1].JPG

IMG_1026[1].JPG

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 1:13 PM, busa1300 said:

Here's the other 78 I have....

been collecting parts for this for years to make a time period correct AMA style race rep....

problem is I keep bringing in other projects in front of it....one of these days I'll get it put together with a shelf full of stuff I have waiting...

image.jpg

Coll bike - but would you happen to know what the wheels are ? I picked up an 1100EZ with a pair on recently........

• Like 1

Wheels are EPM, made in Italy. Wheels on bike are 19x2.5 and 18x3.5

http://www.magni.it/epm_6_razze.htm

I also have a set I am planning on putting on the bike when I eventually rebuild it that are 18x2.5 and 18x3.5. Originally on a bike that raced out in California in the early 80's. These are the pics he sent when he offered them for sale over 10 years ago...I got the rotors, calipers, and shocks also.

internet bikes 021 (2).jpg

internet bikes 022 (2).jpg

Sitting on on my shelf now, waiting to get put to use one day

F8BAD9FB-B1F8-4A6C-9180-E73E24A4DEBF.jpeg

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 3
  • 1 year later...
On 12/16/2016 at 1:25 AM, busa1300 said:

Once I got the CBX going again, I spent a bit of time playing with the GS... I knew what parts I didn't want on it, but was not sure the parts I did want to use

So it was time to dig in.....

IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5332.JPG

IMG_5334.JPG

IMG_5365.JPG

Love that you chose the ET swingy. Its actually what caught my eye first when I saw @Jelly's 816 GSX...which is consequently now under my supervision. 

• Like 1
On 12/20/2016 at 9:06 PM, busa1300 said:

Copy any of it you want, that's why I'm showing all I did...:tu

Since I had it running now, and almost had brakes (still having bleeding/internal leaking/flexing caliper...? issues of some kind) It needed to get off the operating table, and work up its strength a bit. Plus, I was worried that at some point it might ride itself off the table while running :o And I had that bike out of the box (remember the box I had to open...?), which was waiting for the table in need of some surgery as well.

I still needed to get the inside of the tank cleaned up (scale, and crusted on old gas) before I could use it, And I had to rebuild my fuel tap too.

But it did finally make it out in the sun, even if it wasn't quite ready to ride on the road yet. :banana:

IMG_4364.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4337.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

Outstanding. Such a clean build. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, busa1300 said:

Looks like it was stored in a nice place, that should have hopefully saved a lot of work.

Hope the tank is in good shape....78 gas tanks are crazy money these days.

That's where it was moved to a month before I got it.  It was stored in a garage at least.  It has an 80-81 tank on it and some other odd parts it seems like.  My students and I are tearing into it now and seeing what we can do.  It does kind of run but not well.  Going to be a fun project.  

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...