insulate coil mount or earth it ? how do you mount yours...

richyrich

do i need to earth coils through the mounts or do i need to insulate them cos they earth through the ht lead.

im having a nightmare starting this 750L engine.  im worried about the spark now...

i had old green dynas on it, got this thing out for first time in months and swapped them for bandit coils, just connected the low tension and layed them on the frame. I thought it had a much bluer spark, put the plugs in and the thing tried to fire, popping and banging. Great i thought, thats new. mounted them with a long bolt and piece of rubber tube as a spacer to lift them over frame and insulate from vibration as much as volts.  spark back to white again.

Im really clutching at straws here. timing good ie cams and crank synched right with timing marks and chain links. compression cold is 140 in all four cylinders.

bit subjective what is a white or blue spark, its flipping sparking goddamit. is making an earth through the coils what im doing wrong ? something is wrong and i cant see it

yeah thanks Crass, i thought i mightve had a good idea, one of those things thats wrong and you walk past everyday without noticing.  I went out and "earthed" coils with some jump leads and it didnt fire but i thought the spark looked slightly bluer, the power of the mind go figure.

its true that it did try and fire immediately after swapping the coils three days ago.  which it hasnt done at an other time. i feel like this is a clue.  other variables associated with that are the Lt connections and that id just cleand the plugs with a nail file.

FML

haha doesnt very good does it "cleaning plugs with nail file.." So Yes Capn a fine idea, but ive already got 8 cr9 plugs.  They're 15 quid a pop. the second set of four have about 2 miles on them, the first set zero miles but some minutes of stationary running.  I would happily shell out for plugs if there was any sign of the thing trying to start.  Id be overjoyed if it fired at any time !

its a real problem, several people have said to me; get new plugs.  As i understand it theres stuf, maybe seleniumin and other shit, in fuel that coats the electrodes if it is not burnt off when the motor gets up to operating temperature.  But if it never runs thats not going to happen so what to do.  I cant spend fifty quid on plugs every time i want to turn it over. How can i clean the plugs !  I use a small bronze brush, contact cleaner and a little kiss with a very thin (nail) file to try and clear this coat of fuel shit.

if it was regulalrly coughing and spluttering trying to fire id get new plugs but its not, theres something else.