cdi info

martyngsxr

okay this may be one for the vault but im having headaches with my 750l and was wondering if anyone has created a reference chart on what cdi's are interchangeable at the moment i have 32900-17d00 but its a bit worse for wear at the moment it stinks. after having problems with dropping a cylinder on the way to work last week i changed the plugs and the coils went out on it saturday started fine ticking over fine for about 10 minutes got on and went about 2 miles and it cut out as if no petrol. checked fuel and the obvious then poped the seat and got a wiff of that unmistakeable smell of buggered electronics so phoned the rac 4 hours later the flat bed turns up to take me home. got home and striped the bike managed to get another cdi with the same part number and guess what exactly the same happened apart from this time i managed to push/ride it home. spoke to a freind who is a top spanner man and he said he had exactly the same problem on a bandit he has and guess what the cdi numbers are the same he has fitted a different cdi and has had hassle free riding since.

cheers martyn

• 2 weeks later...

what a nightmare, stuck on the roadside, how do cdis fry up. im no expert. thats gotta be too much amps or volts or something.. isnt the reguator in the alternator assembly in these engines, is it letting too much "electric" out ? or can coils try to  "pull" too much curent through.  Still your 750L starts up, i cant get mine out the garage haha

Yes. Regulater in back of alternator.  In short it could be to much current but could be bad earth or battery. If yer coils  break down that load has to go some where.  And first in line is cdi. But on other hand ya could have been unlucky and bought a bad cdi.  Cdi could have a dry joint. checking and fault finding  in short the answer. And as  fbob says. Bandit ones have different part numbers for a reason. They are different in revs and prob timing or something. 

Best get that multimeter out. (y)

okay i got to the bottom of the cdi frying it was a set of coils that i bought listed as for the 750l i just took them on face value until i was still having problems then i took them off and did a few checks with the multimeter. it turns out the primary resistance was only 0.8 ohm instead of 2.8 ohm so fitted another set of gsxr coils and it looks like the problem is solved and a pissy email sent to the seller 

• Like 1