External wastegate?

Some possible reasons:

-Many turbos don't have integral waste gate, especially larger ones.

-They look cool ;)

-Quite often integral gates are too small or otherwise badly flowing. That causes boost creep so boost climbs higher than wastegate pressure at high rpm.

3 hours ago, Tombola said:

Cheers for the reply, Mine does have an internal wastegate, I'm guessing I just have to weld it up solid?

Regards to the pipe coming from the external wastegate does it have to join up with the exhaust? 

Yes, if you are going to use an external gate then it's better to weld internal one. In theory you can also just clamp it shut but welding is probably simpler and more reliable. But then it's completely another question if you really need to use an external gate. If the internal one is properly sized it will work just fine for most purposes. And usually you can also improve the internal gate by porting the gate for better flow or even changing the gate vale to bigger one.

Routing the outlet pipe of an external gate is pretty much personal choice. Just think about what you want to do with those exhaust gases. From functionality point of view a dump pipe to atmosphere is perfectly fine and provides least amount of restriction. As downside it will make some noise when the gate opens and gases may melt or stain something if you don't think about routing.

1 hour ago, Tombola said:

This is the same size port as the internal one, bloody heavy I'm guessing you must have to brace the stabbing off the manifold or tie it off to the frame? 

I Just mounted mine on the bottom of the up-pipe not had any issues ......."Yet" 9_9

Wastegate....JPG

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Tombola said:

You have two ports for hoses, Im guessing the bottom is the pressure in to move the valve, What's the top for? 

Bottom opens gate from manifold pressure .....E.g. 6 Psi spring should open at 6 psi boost.......

Top can be used with a boost controller to add resistance to spring ..therefore higher Psi from same  6 psi spring. .

16 minutes ago, Tombola said:

Are yours adjustable? I did get a adjustable one as I felt it would be beneficial later down the line! 

Yes the bike I still have with the red one is adjustable as you can preload the spring with the adjuster...

you just need to be able check what its actually going to open at ....when you do 9_9

• 1 month later...

I have one due to the internal one (linkage actuator etc) getting in the way of where I wanted the turbo mounted.  I made the mistake of buying a chinese one.  It leaks like a sieve when I test it with my bike pump.  Kind of works but also takes about two seconds to close again when you take the pressure off.  But Eblag did give me my money back so I didn't lose out.

• 1 month later...