EFE engine top end re-fresh

Sheep

So,after one (long awaited) run at the Pod yesterday i have come to the conclusion its time for a re-fresh of the old girls top end.Looking back down the strip made me wonder if i was on a two stroke!!!...Needless to say i didn't risk a second go.Shame.I did better my workmate however so can hold my head up even though i did fluff the run a little.(my first time,my excuse).

The mileage was always an unknown since i bought the bike and a compression check back in the Spring showed it wasn't as tight as it could have been.She always ran ok though,so i decided to use it this summer with plans to do the work this winter.

I have seen the usual piston kits ie Wiseco which come with rings and pins and these will need a rebore to suit...are these kits the normal route people take?

I am also budgeting for valve seals,gaskets,valve grind,clutch spring/basket upgrade..is there anything else you could recommend doing.I am not after stupid power but simply a good strong bike.

(y)

You could get oversize Suzuki pistons for about the same money as Aftermarket - available at 0.25 / 0.50mm oversize and for a road bike might be a sensible option for reliability IMO. And unless big power is likely a basket upgrade is a bit OTT and a chunk of money to do - if the original is badly worn / notchy then its an easier choice.

Ok cool.....i like options.

The clutch is ok especially after fitting the heavy duty nut.It does have recent plates in too.If its not needed then i will not get it.

I only mentioned the big bore kit as they come up every time i search the web.I will look into the oversize but i wont commit till its apart.I once got another bike (twin) honed and ringed and it was as good as new.

Roger Upperton will supply a 1230 Wiseco kit  and do the rebore as part of the deal. I suppose the advantage of the wiseco kit is the fact that the pistons are forged and not cast like the OEM. So should you decide to turbo it later you're good.

I would consider new valve guides , if it's burning oil at the valves new stem seals won't last long if the guides are worn. A 3 angle valve job and a wee bit of porting is worth it if you are having the guides done. Slotted cam sprockets will allow you to get the best out of the engine through dialing the cams in.

I would go with a rebore if it is showing signs of excessive wear as a hone & rings will only be a short term fix. Problem you will have is knowing when to stop changing parts otherwise you will find you have spent £2k before you know it. Best is to strip it completely including the crank & box if you can, clean it all & then get  it examined & measured by someone with experience who you trust. Might save a whole lot of money hopefully.

• Like 2

Bore would be my preference as well and I'd look at the upgrade to the oil pump gear while you are at it for peace of mind and a well lubed head, fnarr.

I've got to say though, if the guides show some wear, I think I might be tempted to try to find a slightly better head. Similar money before all the other good work is done, but pressing out guides and introducing new ones can be a little traumatic, especially if you want longevity with the occasional banzai 1/4 mile tear up.

Guides lose quite a lot of the ally in the head on the way out and factory fit would be my preference for longevity.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...