Morning.

Im looking at getting a new chain for the katana project.

It currently runs a 530 O ring but the clearance between the tyre and the frame is minimal to say the least.

So I was wondering if a 520 or 525 would be ok.

Has anyone tried these chains with a GSX11 ?

If so what was it like ?

O ring ? X ring ? No ring ?

Any ideas on width ?

Any particular chain that is slim yet mega strong ?

Cheers.

Skel.

Endurance racing background says that 525 DID will take just about anything. Run it, adjust it once for the initial bedding in, then maintain it. Occasional adjustment is fine, if it becomes regular, replace. Simples.

I know of teams that run all manner of chain sponsors, but those chains Always appear to be gold ones during the races. It appears to be the answer to not having to spend down time adjusting a chain, unless conditions are truly shit for 24 Hrs and a 185/190 HP thrashing.

520, not for a 5 speed torque monster, thanks.

45 minutes ago, wraith said:

I'm using a DID 520 x ring chain on my gsxr motor Kat for the same reason as you, and from the chain just caching tyre and frame by about 1/2 mm it now runs clear and seem to be getting good were out of if.

Yep sensible choice.

I think I would rather replace the chain and sprockets more often rather than risk it twatting anything.

It also means that I dont have to space the front sprocket out quite so much which is a bonus.

520 may seem strange to some people but unfortunatly in this instance its all about compromise.

I have just tried a new 520 X ring chain on some old sprockets on the kat.

It clears the tyre and frame by around 2.5mm each side.

It doesn't look out of place either.

I think I will go with it for now at least until I can get to measure some 525 ones.

16 hours ago, skelly said:

Yep sensible choice.

I think I would rather replace the chain and sprockets more often rather than risk it twatting anything.

It also means that I dont have to space the front sprocket out quite so much which is a bonus.

520 may seem strange to some people but unfortunatly in this instance its all about compromise.

Unless the side plates and/or O rings are different in thickness, changing the chain size e.g. from 530 to 520, makes no difference in the clearance between the inner face of the chain and the tyre. It only provides more clearance on the outside edge. As that is the main problem then changing to a 520 will be good. If it gives more clearance both sides the side plates must be thnner than the previous 530.

All 530 chains are not the same width as it applies to the pitch not the thickness of plates ties use .

When I did me  kat went down to B&C as it's just down the road and looked at a few makes of chain in 530  , was upto 4mm width difference  between them . Settled on did xring which gives ample clearance with offset front and 180 rear 

• Like 1

I have used 520 chains on a few Gsx with 180 tyres without any problem as long as you use a decent chain like did vx2. Not had a good experience with JT chains though. Can't see how you can get the clearance with a 530 chain without offsetting the wheel (not good) or cutting the frame (complicated). I have tried it, measured it & drawn it out in CAD & there just isn't enough room with the wheel in the middle of the bike with a did x ring chain. 

You will also need a 5/8 offset sprocket from Debben which you will have to machine down to 520 thickness. It's not too bad with some carbide tips. 

Edited by coombehouse
More info
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, coombehouse said:

I have used 520 chains on a few Gsx with 180 tyres without any problem as long as you use a decent chain like did vx2. Not had a good experience with JT chains though. Can't see how you can get the clearance with a 530 chain without offsetting the wheel (not good) or cutting the frame (complicated). I have tried it, measured it & drawn it out in CAD & there just isn't enough room with the wheel in the middle of the bike with a did x ring chain. 

You will also need a 5/8 offset sprocket from Debben which you will have to machine down to 520 thickness. It's not too bad with some carbide tips. 

It does cause it's on  my bike , gsxr arm and wheel  with 9mm (I think) offset sprocket from Debben with the 6mm spacer  behind . Not a lot of room but never had anything touch.

Nearly forgot you also need a gs sprocket  carrier as it's 4mm narrower 

Edited by gsx
forgot something
18 hours ago, gsx said:

It does cause it's on  my bike , gsxr arm and wheel  with 9mm (I think) offset sprocket from Debben with the 6mm spacer  behind . Not a lot of room but never had anything touch.

Nearly forgot you also need a gs sprocket  carrier as it's 4mm narrower 

Ok maybe your bike is different to both of mine but just few simple sums to think about.

Swingarm width is 226mm at pivot

Tyre width is 180mm at least

226-180/2 gives 23mm gap either side.

The pin length of a did 530 x ring chain is 23.2mm long. To me that confirms that it most probably won't work too well & didn't for me without trimming the edge of the tyre & offsetting the wheel. Gave up & used a 520 in the end as the pin length is approximately 18mm. 

9 hours ago, coombehouse said:

Ok maybe your bike is different to both of mine but just few simple sums to think about.

Swingarm width is 226mm at pivot

Tyre width is 180mm at least

226-180/2 gives 23mm gap either side.

The pin length of a did 530 x ring chain is 23.2mm long. To me that confirms that it most probably won't work too well & didn't for me without trimming the edge of the tyre & offsetting the wheel. Gave up & used a 520 in the end as the pin length is approximately 18mm. 

I resolved a similar problem by offsetting both sprockets. Talon will make rear offset sprockets to order but they are not cheap. I found the most cost effective supplier of quality offset front sprockets was AFAM in Japan. It is easy to find the head of the sprocket department's email address (I still have it I think) and to get one directly. It was about half the cost of getting a similar item from Debben and also came with an additional splined spacer to adjust the offset. This was a while back but I do not see why they are not still doing them. I rememeber they offered GSX and GSXR sprockets with various offsets, different tooth numbers and also in 530, 525 and 520 sizes. I got a 530 for a GSX1100 efe, which also fits some other bikes.

1 minute ago, Dezza said:

ut they are not cheap. I found the most cost effective supplier of quality offset front sprockets was AFAM in Japan. It is easy to find the head of the sprocket department's email address (I still have it I think) and to get one directly. It was about half the cost of getting a similar item from Debben and also came with an additional splined spacer to adjust the offset. This was a while back but I do not see why they are not still doing them. I rememeber they offered GSX and GSXR sprockets with various offsets, different tooth numbers and also in 530, 525 and 520 sizes. I got a 530 for a GSX1100 efe, which also fits some other bikes.

Handy info for future though Talon are minutes from me & their offset front sprockets are cheap if they have stock. 

Having said that offset sprockets will not help provide more space for a 530 chain. & are only need on the front as there is enough meat on the rear to machine off on most sprocket carriers (not gsxr k1 onwards though as I found out)

• Like 2