oil strainer mod.

skelly

Heyup.

I remember seeing on here somewhere a photo of a modified gsx oil strainer with the two pickup pipes cut off & blanked and a hole in the bottom instead.

I did a search but nothing popped up.

Has anyone done this mod ?

If so, was it better ?

Worse ?

I can see the thinking behind it but like to hear peoples opinions.

Cheers.

Skel.

35 minutes ago, skelly said:

Heyup.

I remember seeing on here somewhere a photo of a modified gsx oil strainer with the two pickup pipes cut off & blanked and a hole in the bottom instead.

I did a search but nothing popped up.

Has anyone done this mod ?

If so, was it better ?

Worse ?

I can see the thinking behind it but like to hear peoples opinions.

Cheers.

Skel.

Yep, was me.

I also used a modified GS1000 strainer to make cleaning the screen easier. I had reason to drop the sump a couple of weeks ago (to fit a Oil cooled GSXR shift detent spring), so I decided to have a look at how things were trucking along. There was absolutely no silicon debris or anything in the sump, mainly because now the pickup picks up from 1/4" above the bottom - it was all on the screen (not that there was much, I'm not some kind of hack!). I also fitted a gasket so the thing can't pull air where the pickup meets the case. I did it because on a long thrash (600km of hard riding) my old motor ate enough oil that i pulled air into the oil system accelerating hard off the last couple of corners of the ride - I figured that the pickups being more than 3/4" off the bottom of the sump wasn't a good idea, and Suzuki clearly agreed in the later motors (750ES/Popup/GSXRs)

Our local GSX guru has been doing 2 versions for some time - one is much like what I did, except he crimps the existing tubes and blanks them with solder or braze depending on his mood, the other uses a GSX750ES/Oil boiler pickup screen and a (I want to say 3/4") spacer to get it near the bottom of the sump.

• Like 3

The modified oil pickup (strainer) looks good, and it does improve the issue (pulling air during acceleration), but I just found a nifty solution in use with the 'busa crowd..

RCS%20BILLET%20PAN%20-%201300-3.jpg

It's a swivelling oil pickup! It moves back under acceleration, and swings forwards during braking, so points exactly to where the oil is.. B|

• Like 3

Relevent if you want to fit a motor in a car application or possibly if you are going drag racing. The pickup chases the oil around the sump, but only if the sump stays relatively level. 

Start putting some high speed corners in the mix and you'll soon be starving it.

Last one that I know went bang in an expensive manner was on a fresh built motor on a dyno,  it's officially a dry sump solution ..ish. The motor wasn't level, there was no real acceleration surge and it threw it's rods at max revs. :D

Edited by markfoggy
More
12 hours ago, markfoggy said:

Start putting some high speed corners in the mix and you'll soon be starving it.

How do you reckon that? With an on board riding style the forces would be perpendicular to the face of the sump, so the oil would remain in much the same place as if you were going straight (or standing still).. With hanging off though I guess the oil would be slung somewhat to one side (outside corner), but so would the swivelling pickup.. Right? (Of course the swivelling needs to be heavier than the oil, but I think aluminium is..)

Oh.. If oil pickup is a genuine issue on racing engines, why not wire in an ignition cutout linked to the oil pressure sensor as a precaution?

12 hours ago, markfoggy said:

Last one that I know went bang in an expensive manner was on a fresh built motor on a dyno,  it's officially a dry sump solution ..ish. The motor wasn't level, there was no real acceleration surge and it threw it's rods at max revs. :D

Dry sump? o.O

Doesn't matter if the motor isn't level as the pickup would swing to the lowest point by gravity, so where the oil would be..

Anyway, the dyno operator should've killed the engine as soon as the oil pressure light came on.. If indeed that was the case.. (Was it?)

The swivelling idea seems quite clever to me, but of course it relies heavily on the swivel-mechanism always functioning correctly.. If would get stuck for some reason (poor manufacturing, debris cought between sliding parts) oil starvation would happen pretty easily..

10 hours ago, arnout said:

The swivelling idea seems quite clever to me, but of course it relies heavily on the swivel-mechanism always functioning correctly.. If would get stuck for some reason (poor manufacturing, debris caught between sliding parts) oil starvation would happen pretty easily..

Which is why they've sort of fallen out of favour with the 'faster' boys - scavenged dry sump systems are more reliable and allow the bike to be lowered more. Having seen a few of the swinging arms - they are difficult to engineer, retaining the friction free movement and keeping air tight for suction - fried clutch does them in a treat!

I wouldn't have any issue if the Arm could go 360, but we're talking Soozy here and almost impossible to do it.

My thoughts are that in a long straight the arm would be trailing, countersteer into a L/h corner and that arm is going into the R/H side of the sump  and will probably stay there through the corner, while the oil drops to the other side.

I may be wrong, but without this thorn sticking in my brain,I'd have made one by now.

13 hours ago, arnout said:

Oh.. If oil pickup is a genuine issue on racing engines, why not wire in an ignition cutout linked to the oil pressure sensor as a precaution?

OOh now that is such a good idea I'm stuggling to think of how to make it work. Most race bikes completely ignore it and an ignition killer that functioned on first  drop of pressure could be lethal. I remember a Tip over switch that was doing this when the back started to slide on the banking at Assen on a K1. Mahoosive rebuild after a spectacular high side. O.o. but I'm away giving it some thought.

Edited by markfoggy
More.
  • 4 weeks later...

I just deep sumped my original sump plate by 2" and cut off and blanked the original oil pick up tubes, then I fitted new tubes in the bottom of the pick up so that they reached down into the new sump. Never cavitation the oil as there is always a constant supply from the sump even when accelerating hard with the front end skyward.