Vm29mm vs Rs36 flats

berty

Hi all , any one have first hand experience of both sets of these carbs for comparison ?? 

I appreciate the rs carbs are favoured on the strip - ie better wot performance . But am asking about street use . Running on an 1170 with standard head .

Edited by berty
Info

No idea about vm26 but having had mikuni 32mm slides on my kat 1170 and subsequently changing them for rs 36`s  I can say the rs 36`s are well worth it. I had no problems setting them up and use them on the road. A flowed head would probably help bring out there best though.

3 hours ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

the accelerator pumps are a total kick in the pants when they are timed just right. 

What is the tricks for setting the A/p? i think mine needs setting up propperly, as i get a puff of black smoke (rich mixture) when i blip the throttle on my RS38's :/

Edited by 370steve
On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎28 at 11:44 PM, Nigkat said:

No idea about vm26 but having had mikuni 32mm slides on my kat 1170 and subsequently changing them for rs 36`s  I can say the rs 36`s are well worth it. I had no problems setting them up and use them on the road. A flowed head would probably help bring out there best though.

ok,and what is the difference between RS 36 ( any slides ) vs standard CV carbs in everyday ride ?

A cv of any type tolerates 'ham fisted' throttle application better than a slide carb. You can yank the throttle open wide but the slide will only lift as far or as fast as is required to keep air flow optimised to the fuel delivery metered by the jets which is dependent on air flow.

A flatslide can be yanked open, and at low speed will fall flat on its face as air speed rapidly drops, fuel flow reduces etc etc etc. They have accelerator pumps to squirt neat fuel down the throats to mitigate the transition but doesn't always work. 

If you are respectful of the limitations, you could ride both and not know the difference until a spirited 'roll-on' then you'd know whats what!

Edit : Also don't you mean VM29's like from the 750's? They were good on a 750 but if stock i'd imagine a 1100 / 1170 etc would find them a bit wheezy. But bored out to 33mm and could work very well on that size motor for on road use. They don't have pumps that i'm aware of so the same caveats apply re throttle control but should be a torque'y motor but maybe breathless WOT?

Edited by Gixer1460
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Edit : Also don't you mean VM29's like from the 750's? They were good on a 750 but if stock i'd imagine a 1100 / 1170 etc would find them a bit wheezy. But bored out to 33mm and could work very well on that size motor for on road use. They don't have pumps that i'm aware of so the same caveats apply re throttle control but should be a torque'y motor but maybe breathless WOT?

1170 was a 1000 and originally fitted with the vm 32`s They were rejetted by Pip Higham  when he did the 1170.

18 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

A cv of any type tolerates 'ham fisted' throttle application better than a slide carb. You can yank the throttle open wide but the slide will only lift as far or as fast as is required to keep air flow optimised to the fuel delivery metered by the jets which is dependent on air flow.

A flatslide can be yanked open, and at low speed will fall flat on its face as air speed rapidly drops, fuel flow reduces etc etc etc. They have accelerator pumps to squirt neat fuel down the throats to mitigate the transition but doesn't always work. 

If you are respectful of the limitations, you could ride both and not know the difference until a spirited 'roll-on' then you'd know whats what!

what about power and accelation ? For example BST 40 mm CV from GSXR 1100 1992 vs RS 40 mikuni ?

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

at WOT a 40mm flatslide will always flow more than a 40mm CV because the flatslide does not have a throttle valve in the venturi. More mixture = more power.

ok, and last question ( I think) .What is the differnece between TMR and RS carbs ? Just Yoshimura logo or something more ?

On 3/30/2016 at 0:34 PM, Gixer1460 said:

33mm Mikuni Smoothies work well on 1170 engines, bit fiddly to get the jetting etc right but worth the trouble, I think that say what now!? 1460 got it right with his comments.......

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Venom said:

ok, and last question ( I think) .What is the differnece between TMR and RS carbs ? Just Yoshimura logo or something more ?

The TMR's are 'I believe' made in magnesium, have roller slides and are absolutely lush! Closer to Keihin FCR's than std Miki RS flatties but more expensive, desirable and rarer!

• Like 2