530 Chain conversion

Maddog

My old GS is still running a 630 chain, which looks like something off an old steam lorry.

Its way too big for the power output and as it's o-ring it's even wider than Suzuki intended and rubs on stuff it shouldn't.

If I swap down to say 530 - how do I work out the proper length? - i'd sooner buy an endless chain of correct size.

Would you keep the same number of teeth on each sprocket to keep ratio same or would that make diameter of front  sprock too small?

Cheers

Andy

4 hours ago, Maddog said:

My old GS is still running a 630 chain, which looks like something off an old steam lorry.

Its way too big for the power output and as it's o-ring it's even wider than Suzuki intended and rubs on stuff it shouldn't.

If I swap down to say 530 - how do I work out the proper length? - i'd sooner buy an endless chain of correct size.

Would you keep the same number of teeth on each sprocket to keep ratio same or would that make diameter of front  sprock too small?

Cheers

Andy

If you had say a 16t 630 front sprocket then you just replace it with a 16t 530 same goes for the rear if it was 44 then replace it with 44 as with the chain if it was 110 links then replace it with 110.

Captain Chaos is quite right, what am I thinking the '30' bit refers to the chain width and its the same on the 530 and 630.

What's thrown me is that it looks huge compared to the chain on the blandit, which turns out is a 525.

The 630 I've got is a DID heavy duty o-ring job and its over an inch wide - I guess o-ring chains weren't fitted in '79 so the original chain may have been narrower.

A new 530 setup would be quite a bit cheaper than a 630 but by the looks of it it may outlast me anyway!

Done this conversion on me katana and running 18 front 48 rear . Bloke I bought original esd off changed to 530 chain and sprockets but used standard 630 teeth , went like fuck in top but revved out .

Get a conversion 530 kit and it comes with a 6mm spacer that fits behind the front sprocket , job done 

17 minutes ago, vizman said:

does the 30 bit refer to the sprocket thickness/ inside plate measurement?.....I thunk?

Its to do with imperial measurements, eighths of an inch. The first 5 is the pitch (5/8's of an inch) the second number (3) is the sprocket thickness/inside roller width (3/8's of an inch) And the last number can be either a 0 (nothing, i.e 530 width 3/8's+zero=3/8's) or it can be a 5 with is half of 1/8th of an inch)

(5)30 width is 3/8's

(5)25 width is 2/8 + 1/16 = 5/16's. ;)

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...