I never thought I would have to start one of these threads

I've managed to get my 1340 running but it's popping, hissing, farting,sucking, backfiring and running on 3 cylinders but manages to hold a rough idle once it's warm. Using a remote fuel supply.

I had the carbs on and off, cleaned and cleaned again and again and put new gaskets, o-rings, needle and seats, etc. 

Compression test 180 all cylinders, valve clearances good.

Swapped plugs in and out, ht leads and coils but no3 will not fire

Haven't come across this before and quite frankly has me stumped. I really don't want to start swapping parts over from my other bikes.....

10 hours ago, george 1100 said:

I've managed to get my 1340 running but it's popping, hissing, farting,sucking, backfiring and running on 3 cylinders but manages to hold a rough idle once it's warm. Using a remote fuel supply.

I had the carbs on and off, cleaned and cleaned again and again and put new gaskets, o-rings, needle and seats, etc. 

Compression test 180 all cylinders, valve clearances good.

Swapped plugs in and out, ht leads and coils but no3 will not fire

Haven't come across this before and quite frankly has me stumped. I really don't want to start swapping parts over from my other bikes.....

I've got a 1052 motor which has had me stumped and slung it in the corner for a year. Very similar symptoms and diagnosis process.

Finally decided to whip the head off last week end. Inlet cam was retarded 2 teeth. Not put it back together yet, still vleaning w tubes of 3bond ofvtge fasket surfaces, but I'm really hoping its the issue. 

I should've checked valve timing when I had the valve cover off. Might still do that for peace of mind.

Going to swap out the carbs tomorrow to at least eliminate that.

Anyone have any ideas on how to set up the ignition plate on a Dyna 2000 as I want to check that also? The manual is vague. 

2 hours ago, george 1100 said:

Anyone have any ideas on how to set up the ignition plate on a Dyna 2000 as I want to check that also? The manual is vague. 

I don't think they are vague - couldn't be clearer. Mount plate centred in the slots, then see photo, then check lines on rotor against the scale on the timing bracket. Adjust the plate to correct timing angle required. Very rarely to the pick-ups need moving on the plate as they are 180 deg. apart. When LED comes on, spark will occur. Oh and don't rotate engine with the cap head screw - it'll snap, many have tried and many have failed. For absolute accuracy a degree wheel and timing light is required but with a CO engine, you'll just get covered in oil from c/case opening beside oil pressure switch!

1100 pick up Dynatek.jpg

Dyna2000i001.jpg

Dyna2000i002.jpg

Edited by Gixer1460
  • Like 2

Swapped the tmr40's over from my track bike and the no3 cold cylinder moved to no4. Up until now, no matter what I did, it's was always no3 that was cold :S. Swapped out the plug and all cylinders firing but still crap. Farting and popping and not revving clean. Also sounds like it's blowing back out through the carburettors.

I am following this with great interest. I had the same problems on the GSX engine with cylinder no.2. I changed carburetors, coils, plugs, coil wires, carburetors, ignition unit, but no help. I haven´t opened the cylinder head yet, because the compressions were ok.
When I changed to another engine, the problems disappeared.