79 GS1000L neo retro project, EFI?

i have a 79 GS1000L i have ~06 GSX-R 600/750 USD forks and rear swingarm. I have not yet figured out what i am doing with the seat. I have to clean and seal the tank. It does run on the carbs, but i was thinking about EFI. I  thought early GSX-R 750 ITBs might be a good starting point. the real question is how do you do fuel pump, and ECU. secondarily what methods are used for changing the spacing on the intakes? as i understand it air cooled vs water cooled heads have different carb/TB spacing.

Just hoping to get someone to point me in a good direction. not going for anything but ease of starting, and more modern reliability instead of the ~45 year old carbs (that DO work for now)

42 minutes ago, wraith said:

@imago is your man. He's doing a air-cooled injection 

@GSX1100dreamnhas done one and everything you need to know is in there. You can of course add/delete/change to suit your own thoughts, but he's put a great deal of thought into it and done the leg work. 

A much overlooked build IMHO which doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Thread is here.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, imago said:

@GSX1100dreamnhas done one and everything you need to know is in there. You can of course add/delete/change to suit your own thoughts, but he's put a great deal of thought into it and done the leg work. 

A much overlooked build IMHO which doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Thread is here.

Yes sorry you where doing the bandit. It's the old age, I get confused xD

• Like 1
14 hours ago, diptenkrom said:

Just hoping to get someone to point me in a good direction. not going for anything but ease of starting, and more modern reliability instead of the ~45 year old carbs (that DO work for now)

If you just want it to run smoothly and reliably I would recommend servicing the carbs properly and riding happily with them :) While EFI conversions have got much easier and cheaper over past years I would still consider it more as learning and experimenting project than a simple bolt-on upgrade. At least as long as we talk about relatively stock engines. More heavily modified projects like turbo setups and so on can be different case, there direct benefits can more easily offset required efforts.

I suggest searching EFI project threads from this forum. There are few pretty good ones which should give you some idea about what's involved. In addition of already mentioned ones here are some examples:

And my own GSX. Doesn't have that much basics about EFI conversion but there are some specific details relating to air cooled engines.

• Like 1

Yes and no to learning and experimenting.

The peripheries (sensors) are just a sum of parts required for the particular to receive its inputs ECU, any brand/ style with the right specifications is only needed.

And to run a factory ECU is more than possible my 1250 ECU/ 1260cc GSX. So if you can find an ECU from a bike of a similar capacity (and more importantly similar style of engine, i mean a casual 1250 Bandit/ casual 1260 GSX = horses for courses).

The idea of STANDARD ECU just needs a bit more lateral thinking. With maybe a bit of a tweek remap as a final fine tune.

I mean GSX 1360 and Busa 1340 ECU.

GSF650 and Katana 650 shoe in.

Are all easy (fairly) examples of STANDARD ECU applications based on capacity alone.

Just food fuel for thought.

Be a pioneer but research research.

ALL the above is great advice, just need to use information SPECIFIC for your build

Cheers Andrew.

Using stock ECU's (and in particular from different models) can be tricky a) Actually getting into the ecu software to allow tuning and b) matching all the sensors and sensor inputs that the ecu is looking for. Usually with a) there is initial difficulty 'getting in' and then the tuning options can be limited and with b) matching crank and cam trigger inputs / teeth count / missing tooth angles etc is the usual stumbling block.

I realise using a 'stock' ecu is a cheaper option but for the ease of use and flexibility and more importantly Data Logging, a standalone ECU makes up for its cost in tuning and set-up time, which if you are paying someone else can be considerable! Plus not all tuners will be equipped to 'break into' stock ecu's and prefer to work on certain types of aftermarket units - so chose the ecu carefully, as if no one is prepared to tune it, it'll be down to you and 'seat of the pants' road tuning! 

On cue Gixxer1460 thanks,

Remember we are talking stock motors (set (remap once) and forget why data log on a commuter), so as I said choose an ECU with a similar engine charateristic. e.g 1250 GSF/ 1260 GSX. Do not over complicate stock application. 

I only mentioned Suzuki ECU so far but in reality an ECU is only looking for sensors with the same parameters it dose not care/ know brands just inputs parameters.

e.g. my 1250 crank pickup from a 130mm 24-2 trigger wheel works with a kawa 24-1 made into a 24-2  65mm trigger wheel.

Or 1250 coolant WATER sensor works perfectly in GSX OIL gallery.

My 74 Mazda 1300 ran perfectly fine with a sheet metal manifold (we are talking 95) 92 Diahatsu ECU, 88 Vn commodore MAP sensor, Mazda something 65mm throttle body,  80s RX7 distributor twin pickup for DFI 88 commodore coil packs and 85 commodore HEI ignitors. Stock ECU just don't care.

Research research and enjoy the journey, it is only a fancy carby afterall.

Edited by GSX1100dreamn
added info
  • Like 2

Based on my experience using a stock ECU is a risky choice. At minimum I would select an ECU that has re-mapping tools available, like Hayabusa. Getting properly working result without re-mapping requires quite good luck. And even if you can re-map the ECU there is still change that you face some problem which you can't fix with available mapping tools.